Charlestown Community is a facility in Catonsville, Maryland. This city has a total of 47,577 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+ which is a quality overall rating. Consequently, it outscored the average nursing home in Catonsville by a notable margin. This nursing home definitely has plenty working in its favor. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Catonsville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a strong overall score, this nursing home performed well in short-term care. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Our short-term care grades are crucial for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing services. This includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive profile, this facility also performed well in the category of inspections. In fact, it earned a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that area with an B+. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area tend to have very few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Charlestown Community?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care, in which this nursing home was awarded a C. This actually turned out to be this facility's least impressive area. This is nevertheless not the end of the world. Our long-term care grades are essential for people in need of non-healthcare services such as personal care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. We were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated 87.265915 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be quite a bit lower than what we expected. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Charlestown Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Charlestown Community, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Charlestown Community, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Charlestown Community, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Charlestown Community, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Charlestown Community, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Charlestown Community, 11.04% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Charlestown Community, 90.84% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Charlestown Community, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Charlestown Community, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Charlestown Community, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Charlestown Community, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Charlestown Community, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Charlestown Community, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Catonsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Catonsville, Maryland has 5 other nursing homes
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.82 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 6.28 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Us Renal Care - West Baltimore1.41 miles away22 S Athol Ave Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 947-3227
- Davita - Catonsville1.51 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis1.7 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Concerto Maryland, LLC2.02 miles away1531 S Edgewood St Suite 302 Halethorpe Maryland 21227Dialysis Stations: 2 (443) 364-4362
- Bon Secours Hospital3.34 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (410) 362-3094
- Idf - Parkview Center4.19 miles away840 Hollins St Baltimore Maryland 21201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (410) 468-0900
- Kidney Home Center4.7 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Davita - Harbor Park Dialysis4.74 miles away111 Cherry Hill Rd Brooklyn Maryland 21225CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 354-3037