Charlesgate is in Providence, Rhode Island. The city offers many available nursing homes. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires quality scores in most areas. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Providence. We were also pleased to find that this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a strong overall grade, this nursing home also received an impressive nursing grade this year. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a B+. Our nursing grade analyzes a handful of datapoints, however, the most important one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strong feature for this facility is that it was awarded a favorable short-term care grade. In fact, this ended up being its second best category grade. In this area, we gave this nursing home a B. Our short-term care ratings are critical for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Charlesgate ?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this facility, we gave them one of our stronger scores in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.66555 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the final area we looked at, we found that this nursing home received a solid government inspection report this year as well, with few major dings from government inspectors. It earned a decent grade in inspections with a grade of B-. This facility didn't have any major weaknesses. Inspection ratings are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information on deficiency's for this nursing home. We would like to have more data for this facility. Without all of the deficiency data, it was challenging to evaluate it in terms of this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Charlesgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Charlesgate , 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Charlesgate , 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Charlesgate , 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Charlesgate , 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Charlesgate , 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Charlesgate , 2.58% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Charlesgate , 94.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Charlesgate , 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Charlesgate , 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Charlesgate , 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 10 other nursing homes
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 3.86 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Nna of Providence0.35 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Providence2.25 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital2.55 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Davita North Providence Renal Center2.77 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Nna - Pawtucket2.85 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.1 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence3.28 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket3.62 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313