Charlesgate is in Providence, Rhode Island. The city offers many available nursing homes. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some solid scores. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Providence. We were also pleased to discover that this place received consistently decent grades in each of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility an A- in the area of short-term care. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This facility's second best category is inspections. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we have deficiency counts for this nursing home. We wish we had more data for this facility. Without having access to all of the deficiency related data, it is difficult to evaluate this facility in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Charlesgate ?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a decent grade in the category of long-term care, where it received a grade of C. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very solid total. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last category we scored was nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a C. In calculating a facility's nursing score, we consider the number of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Charlesgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Charlesgate , 7.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Charlesgate , 3.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Charlesgate , 2.72% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Charlesgate , 17.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Charlesgate , 15.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Charlesgate , 2.96% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Charlesgate , 94.59% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Charlesgate , 17.47% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Charlesgate , 23.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Charlesgate , 23.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 10 other nursing homes
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 3.86 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Nna of Providence0.35 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Providence2.25 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital2.55 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Davita North Providence Renal Center2.77 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Nna - Pawtucket2.85 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.1 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence3.28 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket3.62 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313