Charlesgate is one of six nursing homes in Providence, Rhode Island. This nursing home is a lower end nursing home. A grade in this range suggests we found a few red flags. Although this grade isn't too far off the city grade in Providence which is a C, you still should be able to find a better option. The best thing we can really say about this facility is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Providence senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While this nursing home's overall grade was not great, it actually received a good grade for short-term care. In fact, we gave it a B for that category, which is a solid score. This one of its few redeeming features. In our short-term care score, we strive to create a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
We also gave this facility a strong grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. This is better than most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing score consists of a handful of subcategories, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Charlesgate ?
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest area we gave this facility in any category came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility provided the vaccine to 98.6755 percent of its patients, which is a very solid percentage. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This facility did not receive a favorable inspection grade. We gave it a grade of just just D in this category. Inspection grades relate to a facility's inspections. We weight poor inspection grades heavily in our assessment. Since government inspection reports are completed by independent government inspectors, we consider this data to be reliable. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. We suggest you scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. We were not able to locate deficiency counts for this nursing home. Lastly, we also need to point out that this place was assessed significant government fines in recent years of more than $100,000. This typically signifies that a poor track record spanned several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Charlesgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Charlesgate , 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Charlesgate , 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Charlesgate , 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Charlesgate , 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Charlesgate , 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Charlesgate , 2.02% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Charlesgate , 93.99% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Charlesgate , 16.08% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Charlesgate , 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Charlesgate , 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Charlesgate , 77.03% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 3.86 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Nna of Providence0.35 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Providence2.25 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital2.55 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Davita North Providence Renal Center2.77 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Nna - Pawtucket2.85 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital3.1 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Dialysis Center of East Providence3.28 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket3.62 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313