Chapman Care Center is one of only two nursing homes in Garden Grove, California. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is very favorable score. This nursing home truly has plenty going for it. Scroll down to see this facility's category ratings, which are also strong. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Chapman Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Garden Grove senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also earned top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our higher scores in this area, with an A. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also was awarded favorable long-term care scores this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our higher scores in that category, with a score of B. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Chapman Care Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. In calculating our nursing scores, we assess both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth area, this facility was given a very strong short-term care grade. This facility didn't prove to have any real weak links. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chapman Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chapman Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chapman Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chapman Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chapman Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chapman Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chapman Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chapman Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chapman Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
In Chapman Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chapman Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chapman Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chapman Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.06 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove0.96 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis1.06 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove1.94 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis2.17 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- St. Joseph Hospital Renal Center2.57 miles awaySr. Elizabeth Bldg. 1100 W. Stewart Drive Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (714) 771-8037
- Fmc-University Dialysis Center of Orange2.74 miles away1809 W. Chapman Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 634-3583
- Davita-Main Place Dialysis Center2.94 miles away146 South Main Street Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 938-0870
- Satellite Healthcare Orange2.99 miles away1518 W. La Veta Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 285-9675