Chapin Center is a senior living facility in Springfield, Massachusetts, which has 144,116 people. With an overall grade of B-, this is likely a decent facility. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
200 Kendall Street,
Springfield MA 01104
77.18% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in this category with a grade of A. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a strong grade in long-term care. This nursing home earned a B+ in this category, which happens to be one of our more favorable grades. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.13793 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Chapin Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing score analyzes the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a relatively low total compared to most other nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this facility really didn't perform very well. With a very poor grade of F in short-term care, this was this facility's worst category. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. In this facility's case, it looks like it offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chapin Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chapin Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chapin Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chapin Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chapin Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for treating several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chapin Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chapin Center, 1.93% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chapin Center, 91.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chapin Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chapin Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Chapin Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chapin Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chapin Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chapin Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.22 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 15.11 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.85 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)1.48 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Springfield Dialysis Center1.49 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)1.78 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center2.53 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Chicopee Dialysis Center2.61 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC3.47 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts3.64 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC4.37 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128