With an address in Newtown, Pennsylvania, Chandler Hall Health Services is one of only three facilities in the city. It looks like this is a very respectable nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a favorable score. This facility truly has plenty working in its favor. The best part of this facility's report card was is its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Chandler Hall Health Services
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Newtown senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also received an elite short-term care grade. We gave them one of our higher scores in that area, with an A. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
In addition, this facility also performed well in inspections, which is based on its inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that area, which is one of our best scores. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Chandler Hall Health Services?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. The nursing grade includes a number of subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is long-term care. It received an abysmal F in this category, which is a rock bottom grade. We wouldn't necessarily rule out a facility because of one concerning category though. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated 38.70968 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be quite a few points less than the national average. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chandler Hall Health Services Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 21.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 2.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 13.33% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 15.32% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 16.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 62% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 13.68% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 14.68% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 14.68% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 5.66% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chandler Hall Health Services, 60.76% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Lower Bucks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away501 Bath Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007Proprietary(215) 785-9200
- Capital Health System-Fuld CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away750 Brunswick Ave Trenton New Jersey 08638Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 394-6000
- St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.4 miles away601 Hamilton Ave Trenton New Jersey 08629Voluntary non-profit - Church(609) 599-5000
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.7 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Doylestown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.16 miles away595 West State St Doylestown Pennsylvania 18901Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 345-2200
- Virtua Willingboro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away218a Sunset Road Willingboro New Jersey 08046Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 835-2900
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.1.34 miles away105 Terry Drive Suite 118 Newtown Pennsylvania 18940Dialysis Stations: 12 (215) 968-3064
- Newtown Dialysis Center1.39 miles away60 Blacksmith Road Newtown Pennsylvania 18940Dialysis Stations: 18 (267) 757-8060
- Langhorne Dialysis Center3.86 miles away880 Town Center Drive Langhorne Pennsylvania 19047CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (215) 757-4115
- Dialysis Center at Oxford Court3.97 miles away930 Town Center Drive, Suite G-100 Langhorne Pennsylvania 19047Dialysis Stations: 14 (215) 750-9831
- Davita Neshaminy Dialysis7.01 miles away2 Neshaminy Interplex Drive Building 2, Suite 110 Feasterville Trevose Pennsylvania 19053Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 245-6590
- Davita Franklin Commons Dialysis7.15 miles away720 Johnsville Boulevard, Suite 800 Warminster Pennsylvania 18974CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 682-7691
- Bristol Dialysis LLC7.66 miles away1900 Frost Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 785-0382
- Fmc Ewing8.43 miles away1962 North Olden Avenue Trenton New Jersey 08618CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (609) 671-1600