Chandler Convalescent Hospital is one of seven available nursing homes located in Glendale, California. Featuring an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a lower end facility. In our view, you would be better off to avoid of this facility. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss nursing in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Chandler Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Glendale senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B for our nursing rating. Our nursing score is based on many components, but the main one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving residents at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we awarded this facility a grade of C for its long-term care grade, which isn't a bad grade. In crafting our long-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's personal care services. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Chandler Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only received a D for its short-term care grade, which is not one of our better scores. Our short-term care ratings are important for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. With its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to discover that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.1 percent of its residents returning home.
In our last area of inspections, this nursing home received an F here. Since this information is compiled by government inspectors, we heavily weight poor results in this area. For nursing homes that received this bad of an inspection rating, we recommend scrutinizing the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility had 6 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed significant government fines of over $50,000. This usually suggests that inspectors became fed up after multiple years of bad inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chandler Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 3.36 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Fmc-West Glendale0.09 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis0.83 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis0.99 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.69 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.33 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.33 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.01 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center3.38 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010