Chandler Convalescent Hospital is just one of 14 possibilities in Glendale, California. Featuring an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a lower end facility. In our view, you would be better off to avoid of this facility. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Chandler Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. When computing a facility's nursing grade, we consider the quantity of hours nurses are with residents as well as the levels of training of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, while this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this subcategory.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to discover that this facility received a decent long-term care score this year. We awarded it a C in that category. Our long-term care scores are important for individuals needing personal care. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Chandler Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care grade. This is well below average in this category. Our short-term care scores are believed to be most important for patients needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. As you might expect, we discovered that this place offers far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Moving on our final category of inspections, this facility received an abysmal grade. We weight this category more heavily than other categories. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection rating. We suggest you pay close attention to the level of severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 24 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chandler Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence. Some experts believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 3.36 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Fmc-West Glendale0.09 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis0.83 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis0.99 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.69 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.33 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.33 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.01 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center3.38 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010