Chandler Convalescent Hospital is just one of 14 possibilities in Glendale, California. Featuring an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a lower end facility. In our view, you would be better off to avoid of this facility. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next section.
Chandler Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform as poorly in nursing. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B- for this area. There are numerous factors within this area. Many of these datapoints reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's second most respectable score was short-term care. However, with a D in this category, it still fared relatively badly. With our short-term care rating, we attempt to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical nursing home. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Chandler Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in that category. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
The last category we assessed is inspections. This facility didn't receive glowing inspection reports in recent years. As a result, we had to give it an F. When a place has this bad of an inspection grade, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This particular nursing home had 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 25 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chandler Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chandler Convalescent Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 3.36 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Fmc-West Glendale0.09 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis0.83 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis0.99 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.69 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.33 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.33 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.01 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center3.38 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010