Central Island Healthcare is in Plainview, New York. This city has a population of 28,127 people. This nursing home received an overall grade of B, which is a quality score. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this facility. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Central Island Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Our inspection scores are based on datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the category of short-term care. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- for that category, which happens to be one of our better scores. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Central Island Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a solid grade in the area of long-term care, with a grade of B-. In crafting our long-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's personal care services. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.740555 percent of its patients. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next area we scored is nursing, turned out to be this facility's worst category. We gave this facility a D in that category. This really was one of just a few weak points on a very solid profile. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents and the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home averaged a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This number is well below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these data points to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Central Island Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Central Island Healthcare, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Central Island Healthcare, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Central Island Healthcare, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. However, this statistic may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Central Island Healthcare, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Central Island Healthcare, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Central Island Healthcare, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing signs of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Central Island Healthcare, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Central Island Healthcare, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Central Island Healthcare, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Central Island Healthcare, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Central Island Healthcare, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Central Island Healthcare, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Central Island Healthcare, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.1 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 10.26 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis2.05 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.2.1 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis2.3 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Nyu Langone Hospitals2.56 miles away530 Hicksville Road The Dialysis Center @ Bethpage Bethpage New York 11714CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (516) 663-4980
- Davita Long Island Renal Care5.98 miles away3460 Great Neck Road Amityville New York 11701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 532-6969
- Davita Garden City Dialysis Center6.45 miles away1100 Stewart Avenue Suite 2 Garden City New York 11530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 357-0004
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis6.65 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.6.65 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150