Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center is just one of 21 nursing homes in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Sporting an overall score of C, this is likely a decent facility. Based on the data we reviewed, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. One of the better aspects of this facility's profile is its impressive nursing rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
924 West Kiowa Street,
Colorado Springs CO 80905
62.04% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's nursing score was notably better than its overall score. Due to a strong performance in this area, it earned a quality score in nursing with a grade of B+. Nursing scores are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a strong grade in short-term care. This nursing home earned a B in this category, which happens to be one of our higher scores. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third most favorable area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. With our long-term care score, we analyze the sheer quantity of services provided by a facility, as well as a handful of quality statistics. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. As it turns out, this facility gave the vaccine to only 88.95028 percent of its patients, which is somewhat alarming. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The final category we looked at is inspections. The nursing home received a C in this category. Our inspection grades are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This means that it dodged the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this statistic can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.81% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 84.99% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kiowa Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Colorado Springs, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Colorado Springs, Colorado has 20 other nursing homes
- University Colo Health Memorial Hospital CentralAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away1400 E Boulder St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909Government - Local(719) 365-5000
- Centura Health-Penrose-St Francis Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away2222 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs Colorado 80907Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 776-5000
- Cedar Springs Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 2.75 miles away2135 Southgate Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80906Proprietary(719) 633-4114
- Uchealth Grandview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away5623 Pulpit Peak View Colorado Springs Colorado 80918Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 272-3623
- Uchealth Pikes Peak Regional HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.75 miles away16420 West Highway 24 Woodland Park Colorado 80863Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 687-9999
- Printers Place Dialysis Center (Dva)2.92 miles away2802 International Cir Colorado Springs Colorado 80910Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 630-0602
- Liberty Dialysis Colorado Springs Central (Fmc)2.98 miles away1910 E Lelaray St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (719) 380-4878
- Pikes Peak Dialysis Center (Dva)3.03 miles away2002 Lelaray St Ste 130 Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (719) 471-4615
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs South (Fmc)3.19 miles away2508 Airport Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (719) 227-7455
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs North (Fmc)6.5 miles away2180 Hollowbrook Dr Colorado Springs Colorado 80918CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 593-2999
- North Colorado Springs Dialysis (Dva)9.7 miles away6071 E Woodmen Rd Ste 100/120 Colorado Springs Colorado 80923Dialysis Stations: 15 (719) 638-1223