Located in Leo, Indiana, Cedars The is the sole nursing home we identified in the city. Sporting an overall score of C, this is a respectable facility. Based on our assessment, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. The best part of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Leo senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an A in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this category. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is a very low figure. Lastly, while this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Cedars The?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third highest area turned out to be short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of C. Our short-term care ratings are vital for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care, which ended up being this nursing home's weakest area. Sadly, it received an F for this area, which is obviously very concerning. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes provide. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 81.06061 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cedars The Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cedars The, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cedars The, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cedars The, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients which suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cedars The, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cedars The, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cedars The, 14.48% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cedars The, 91.03% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cedars The, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cedars The, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cedars The, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cedars The, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 13.59 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 18.23 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis6.57 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis7.94 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis9.39 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis10.79 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Fmc - Dekalb County Dialysis10.87 miles away1144 West 15th Street Auburn Indiana 46706Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 927-1309
- Davita- Quad Counties Dialysis Center11.1 miles away528 N Grandstaff Drive Auburn Indiana 46706Dialysis Stations: 9 (260) 927-0100
- Davita - Fort Wayne South14.5 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Fort Wayne West14.9 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483