Cedarbrook Allentown is a very-large government-owned nursing home in Allentown, Pennsylvania. We gave this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires strong marks in most areas. Based on our assessment, you could do much worse than this nursing home. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive profile was its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Inspection scores are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the category of long-term care. As a result, we gave it a score of A- for that category, which is one of our most dominant scores. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 81.1311 percent of its residents. This is slightly lower than we anticipated. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cedarbrook Allentown?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. Our nursing score weighs quite a few components, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a resident more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care, which ended up being this nursing home's worst area. We gave this nursing home a D in that category. However, we wouldn't assess this facility based only on this area, as it had some superb scores in other areas. In our short-term care assessment, we try to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.7 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cedarbrook Allentown Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 3.12% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing signs of depression. High levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 88.22% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cedarbrook Allentown, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Allentown, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Allentown, Pennsylvania has 8 other nursing homes
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.89 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.11 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.53 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- Grand View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.63 miles away700 Lawn Avenue Sellersville Pennsylvania 18960Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 453-4615
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Allentown1.22 miles away3136 Hamilton Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18103CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (610) 435-6718
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis2.78 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC2.78 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Allentown3.45 miles away2820 Mitchell Avenue Allentown Pennsylvania 18103Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 797-7655
- Etowah Dialysis LLC4.6 miles away2550 Route 100, Suite 2 Macungie Pennsylvania 18062Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 336-8350
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville4.62 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall5.58 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.88 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706