With an address in Methuen, Massachusetts, Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center is one of just a couple facilities in this area. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of our higher grades. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
480 Jackson Street,
Methuen MA 01844
85.75% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an excellent short-term care score, with a grade of A. Our short-term care scores are probably more meaningful for people needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This place fared as well as just about any facility in Massachusetts with 60.8 percent of its residents returning home. At most facilities, less than half of their short-term patients return home.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Nursing ratings are largely based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provides an impressive 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident daily. Of this total, nearly one fourth of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. Finally, this facility was also above average in each of the major quality measures we looked at in this category. By way of illustration, it performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Does this page answer your questions about Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center?
This nursing home also performed well in the area of inspections. It earned a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with a grade of B+. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this facility was given a respectable long-term care rating. Although this wasn't quite as impressive as several of its other category grades, this is still a middle of the pack score. Long-term care scores are based on a facility's amount of nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. After considering the very respectable amount of nursing care provided by this nursing home, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which appears to be higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.66 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 1.96% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 91.59% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cedar View Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.56 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.03 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.73 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 17.44 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 18.43 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley0.78 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen2.22 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home2.49 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc4.67 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC5.06 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell9.2 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford12.85 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Davita Nashua Dialysis14.78 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665