Cedar Crest Nursing Centre is one of only two available facilities in Cranston, Rhode Island. Featuring an overall score of A, this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we assessed. You simply can't do any better than this facility. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category grades, which are also quite good. It's hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Cedar Crest Nursing Centre
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. We were not able to locate deficiency data for this facility. We would like to have more information about this nursing home. Without having all of the deficiency related data, it is difficult to really evaluate this nursing home in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its high-end resume, this facility also performed well in our short-term care area. In fact, it received a score of A in that category. Our short-term care grades are believed to be more important for those requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Cedar Crest Nursing Centre?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Our nursing grade analyzes quite a few subcategories, but the main one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last area, this facility also performed admirably in our long-term care category. We gave it a grade of B+ for that category. This completed a very strong report card. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 94.80875 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cedar Crest Nursing Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 7.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 3.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 2.72% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 17.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 15.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 2.96% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 94.59% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 17.47% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 23.44% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' well-being.
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 23.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 11.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cedar Crest Nursing Centre, 77.51% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 5.89 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Dialysis Center of Johnston3.6 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Dialysis Center of Providence3.64 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick5.16 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Nna of Providence5.71 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick6.1 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Davita North Providence Renal Center6.22 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital6.31 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital6.56 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002