Catonsville Commons is a large nursing home located in Catonsville, Maryland. Our grading scheme was not favorable to this nursing home, as it received an overall score of F. This place is about as bad as it gets. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
16 Fusting Avenue,
Catonsville MD 21228
81.91% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this nursing home an abysmal overall score, we awarded it a grade of B- for our nursing category. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses at the facility, in addition to the number of hours the nurses worked with residents, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, while this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this subcategory.
Interestingly, this facility's terrible overall score can't really be attributed to its government inspection reports. We gave it a C for our inspections rating. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This means it avoided the more significant categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Catonsville Commons?
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home just a D for our long-term care score. This is well below average in this category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. As it turns out, this nursing home vaccinated just 82.175224 percent of its residents, which is slightly concerning. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded was short-term care, turned out to be this nursing home's worst area. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this area. In forming our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Considering its grade in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Catonsville Commons Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Catonsville Commons, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Catonsville Commons, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. More supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Catonsville Commons, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that had urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Catonsville Commons, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Catonsville Commons, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Catonsville Commons, 10.18% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Catonsville Commons, 92.14% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Catonsville Commons, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Catonsville Commons, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Catonsville Commons, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Catonsville Commons, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Catonsville Commons, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Catonsville Commons, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Catonsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Catonsville, Maryland has 8 other nursing homes
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis1.44 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Us Renal Care - West Baltimore2.48 miles away22 S Athol Ave Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 947-3227
- Davita - Catonsville2.95 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Kidney Home Center3.47 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Concerto Maryland, LLC3.67 miles away1531 S Edgewood St Suite 302 Halethorpe Maryland 21227Dialysis Stations: 2 (443) 364-4362
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis4.65 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC4.67 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Bon Secours Hospital4.74 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (410) 362-3094