Catonsville Commons is a large nursing home located in Catonsville, Maryland. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. This is not the worse facility we graded, but we'd still be very reluctant to recommend it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong nursing grade. You can continue reading to find out about nursing and other category scores
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Catonsville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't give this facility a good overall grade, we did give it a very strong grade in the area of nursing, where it earned a grade of B. This is better than most nursing homes in this area. Our nursing grade assesses many components, however, the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
We awarded this facility a grade of C for the category of inspections. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This means this facility dodged the more ominous classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Catonsville Commons?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility only earned a D for its long-term care score, which is not an impressive grade. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means the nursing home did not perform well in our measures relating to patient care. Once we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated a relatively low 89.33718 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is short-term care, which turned out to be a low point for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a grade of just D for short-term care. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is frequently a reliable measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Catonsville Commons Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Catonsville Commons, 9.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Catonsville Commons, 0.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Catonsville Commons, 1.47% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who experienced UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Catonsville Commons, 18.69% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Catonsville Commons, 5.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Catonsville Commons, 52.4% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Catonsville Commons, 90.78% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Catonsville Commons, 26.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Catonsville Commons, 25.09% of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Catonsville Commons, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Catonsville Commons, 25.09% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Catonsville Commons, 9.06% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Catonsville Commons, 67.93% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Catonsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Catonsville, Maryland has 5 other nursing homes
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis1.44 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Us Renal Care - West Baltimore2.48 miles away22 S Athol Ave Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 947-3227
- Davita - Catonsville2.95 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Kidney Home Center3.47 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Concerto Maryland, LLC3.67 miles away1531 S Edgewood St Suite 302 Halethorpe Maryland 21227Dialysis Stations: 2 (443) 364-4362
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis4.65 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC4.67 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Bon Secours Hospital4.74 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (410) 362-3094