Caton Manor is a large facility located in Baltimore, Maryland. We gave this facility a bottom of the barrel overall grade based on the data we assessed. We ranked this as one of the bottom 10 rated facilities in Baltimore. In a city with more than 20 other facilities, you should be able to find an alternative. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Caton Manor has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a poor overall grade, we also gave this nursing home weak grades across the board in the various categories. In fact, it received a grade of just D for its short-term care score, which was its highest grade. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Based on its grade in this area, we were not surprised to find that this facility was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the data we assessed. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing score is mostly tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This place offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Caton Manor?
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. For facilities with poor inspection ratings, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this facility didn't fare well in this category either. Due to a poor grade of F in long-term care, this is about as bad as it gets. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated only 80.09049 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Caton Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Caton Manor, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Caton Manor, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Caton Manor, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Caton Manor, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Caton Manor, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Caton Manor, 10.18% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Caton Manor, 92.14% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Caton Manor, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Caton Manor, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
In Caton Manor, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Caton Manor, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Caton Manor, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Caton Manor, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Baltimore, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Baltimore, Maryland has 26 other nursing homes
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 4.53 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Concerto Maryland, LLC0.94 miles away1531 S Edgewood St Suite 302 Halethorpe Maryland 21227Dialysis Stations: 2 (443) 364-4362
- Us Renal Care - West Baltimore1.21 miles away22 S Athol Ave Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 947-3227
- Bon Secours Hospital1.63 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (410) 362-3094
- Davita - Catonsville1.94 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Idf - Parkview Center2.45 miles away840 Hollins St Baltimore Maryland 21201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (410) 468-0900
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis2.65 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Davita - Harbor Park Dialysis3.27 miles away111 Cherry Hill Rd Brooklyn Maryland 21225CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 354-3037
- Downtown Dialysis Center3.28 miles away821 N Eutaw St Ste 401 Baltimore Maryland 21201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (410) 383-3450