Catholic Memorial Home is a very-large non-profit nursing home in Fall River, Massachusetts. With an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective patients. This should be on your short list in Fall River as we rated it as one of the three highest rated facilities in the city. If you look further down this page, you will see this facility's category ratings, which are also impressive.
Catholic Memorial Home
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its quality overall grade, this nursing home earned a B+ for its inspections grade. This is an above average score in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also above average in the category of short-term care, where it was given a grade of B+. It outperformed most facilities in this category. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Catholic Memorial Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received an impressive long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area with a score of B+. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 97.204575 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we looked at is nursing. In this area, we awarded this facility an impressive grade of B. Nursing scores are primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Catholic Memorial Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Catholic Memorial Home, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Catholic Memorial Home, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Catholic Memorial Home, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Catholic Memorial Home, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Catholic Memorial Home, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Catholic Memorial Home, 1.93% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Catholic Memorial Home, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Catholic Memorial Home, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Catholic Memorial Home, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Catholic Memorial Home, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Catholic Memorial Home, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Catholic Memorial Home, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Catholic Memorial Home, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Fall River, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fall River, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.09 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 12.72 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.12 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 15.29 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.85 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.24 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC0.91 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton5.31 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center8.17 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis9.66 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Dialysis Center of East Providence12.68 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.91 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Taunton Regional Dialysis Center13.25 miles awayMill River Place 1 Washington St, Suite 9 Taunton Massachusetts 02780CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (508) 828-5986
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.43 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440