Catholic Memorial Home is a very-large non-profit facility located in Fall River, Massachusetts. With an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective patients. This should be on your short list in Fall River as we ranked it as one of the top three facilities in the city. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its long-term care score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Catholic Memorial Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2446 Highland Avenue,
Fall River MA 02720
72.46% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of performing well in its overall score, this facility earned even higher grades in long-term care. It received one of our best scores in that category with an A-. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 97.90576 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.98 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This nursing home also performed well in inspections, which is based on its recent inspections. We awarded it an A- for that area, which is one of our top scores. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Catholic Memorial Home?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. The nursing category consists of several factors, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also factored a few quality measures into our nursing grades. This facility was relatively weak in two of the major areas we focus on, with below average scores for minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this nursing home also performed admirably in the short-term care category. We awarded it a B+ for this area. This rounded out a very strong profile. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. It performed better than most facilities in this area with 51.8 percent of its residents returning home. With most facilities, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Catholic Memorial Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Catholic Memorial Home, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Catholic Memorial Home, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Catholic Memorial Home, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Catholic Memorial Home, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Catholic Memorial Home, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Catholic Memorial Home, 1.96% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Catholic Memorial Home, 91.59% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Catholic Memorial Home, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Catholic Memorial Home, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Catholic Memorial Home, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Catholic Memorial Home, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Catholic Memorial Home, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Catholic Memorial Home, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Fall River, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fall River, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.09 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 12.72 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.12 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 15.29 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.85 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.24 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC0.91 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton5.31 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center8.17 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis9.66 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Dialysis Center of East Providence12.68 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.91 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- Taunton Regional Dialysis Center13.25 miles awayMill River Place 1 Washington St, Suite 9 Taunton Massachusetts 02780CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (508) 828-5986
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.43 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440