Catered Manor Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home in Long Beach, California. With an overall score of C, this appears to be a decent facility. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Long Beach, which is a B-. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its strong nursing score, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Catered Manor Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Long Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We awarded this nursing home one of our better scores in nursing, with an A-. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. Our nursing grade assesses several subcategories, but the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second most favorable category was short-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most meaningful for those needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. The facility supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Catered Manor Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest category we gave this nursing home in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of C. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.431816 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In the last category of inspections, we gave this facility just a D for our inspection category. This proved to be this nursing home's worst grade. We take a poor grade in this category very seriously. Our inspection scores weigh many items on the facility's recent inspection reports. If you find severe deficiencies on the inspection reports, this is generally a bad sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed large government fines of more than $50,000. This often suggests that inspectors became fed up after multiple years of bad inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Catered Manor Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who have pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents that suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who experienced urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 10 other nursing homes
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.65 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 7.9 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Davita-United Dialysis Center0.37 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis0.37 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center1.19 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis2.11 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Fmc-North Long Beach2.47 miles away145 W. Victoria Street Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 639-3122
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center2.51 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.69 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.94 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511