Catered Manor Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home in Long Beach, California. With an overall score of C, this appears to be a decent facility. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Long Beach, which is a B-. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its strong short-term care score, which is addressed in the next section.
Catered Manor Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home one of our better grades in the area of short-term care, where it received an impressive grade of A-. This is notably better than its overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Our short-term care grade is often employed to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we gave this facility an A-. The nursing grade assesses many components, but the most important one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a patient even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Catered Manor Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this nursing home was given a grade of just D in that category. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 96.25 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
In our last category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. With an F in the inspection category, this nursing home's overall grade was pulled down significantly. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection rating, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This particular facility had 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we also want to point out that this place was assessed large government fines in recent years of over $50,000. This usually signifies that government inspectors became fed up after multiple years of failed government inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Catered Manor Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents that suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who experienced urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Catered Manor Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.65 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 7.9 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Davita-United Dialysis Center0.37 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis0.37 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center1.19 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis2.11 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Fmc-North Long Beach2.47 miles away145 W. Victoria Street Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 639-3122
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center2.51 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.69 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.94 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511