Castleton Health Care Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Indianapolis, Indiana with a total of 910,148 people. It looks like this facility is a lower end facility. A score of this caliber suggests we found a few red flags. Based on our assessment, this place likely isn't a great fit for most prospective residents. The best thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Castleton Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Castleton Health Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Indianapolis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually received a slightly more favorable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a grade of B- for this category, which is not bad. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Nursing ratings are largely based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Castleton Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B-. Our short-term care scores are crucial for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was long-term care, which turned out to be a weak link for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a D in long-term care. Nursing homes that don't fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated just 85.344826 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Castleton Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Castleton Health Care Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Castleton Health Care Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Castleton Health Care Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Castleton Health Care Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients that were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Castleton Health Care Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Castleton Health Care Center, 14.48% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Castleton Health Care Center, 91.03% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Castleton Health Care Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Castleton Health Care Center, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Castleton Health Care Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Castleton Health Care Center, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Castleton Health Care Center, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 23 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 8.85 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 8.93 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Fmc - Shadeland Station1.97 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401
- Fmc-Indianapolis Northeast4.34 miles away9140 Harrison Park Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46216Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 543-5128
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living5.71 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis5.76 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Fmc - Fishers Dialysis6.07 miles away13648 Olivia Way Fishers Indiana 46037Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 773-6638
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis6.38 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Carmel7.64 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North7.71 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169