Castle Manor Convalescent Center is an average-sized nursing home located in National City, California. This is an A+ rated facility, which is our top score. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top five percentile of all nursing homes in the United States. Scroll down to see this facility's category grades, which are equally impressive. You really can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Castle Manor Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on National City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in National City, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in National City, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in National City, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also performed well in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of A+. Few facilities fared better in this category. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 99.1342 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a deadly illness for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Castle Manor Convalescent Center?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. When calculating our nursing scores, we analyze both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final category, this facility also performed admirably in the short-term care category. We awarded it a grade of A for that category. This topped off a straight A report card. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is generally a reliable measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Castle Manor Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 4.02% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 0.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 0.9% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 7.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 99.57% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 4.95% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 3.22% of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 3.22% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 12.46% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 87.2% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.18 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.51 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Davita-San Diego East1.59 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-National City Dialysis Center2.05 miles away303 W. 26th Street National City California 91950CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 474-8151
- Fmc-Raven2.23 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise2.35 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East2.69 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis2.78 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Balboa South Bay Home Therapies3.15 miles away340 4th Avenue, Suite 18 Chula Vista California 91910Dialysis Stations: 5 (619) 420-1798
- Fmc-Balboa Marina Bay4.17 miles away630 Bay Blvd., Suite 101 Chula Vista California 91910CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 420-6725