Castle Manor Convalescent Center is an average-sized nursing home located in National City, California. This is an A+ rated facility, which is our top score. In fact, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as the number one facility in National City. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category scores, which also impressed us. You really can't do much better than a straight A report card.
Castle Manor Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
541 v Avenue,
National City CA 91950
82.52% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Best Nursing Home in National City, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in National City, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in National City, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing ratings are mostly based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Castle Manor Convalescent Center?
Racking up yet another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it received an A. Few facilities fared better in this area. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final area, this facility also was awarded a very strong short-term care grade, with an A. This wrapped up a straight A report card. Short-term care scores are important for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Castle Manor Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents which had a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Castle Manor Convalescent Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for National City, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? National City, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.18 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.51 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Davita-San Diego East1.59 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-National City Dialysis Center2.05 miles away303 W. 26th Street National City California 91950CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 474-8151
- Fmc-Raven2.23 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise2.35 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East2.69 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis2.78 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Balboa South Bay Home Therapies3.15 miles away340 4th Avenue, Suite 18 Chula Vista California 91910Dialysis Stations: 5 (619) 420-1798
- Fmc-Balboa Marina Bay4.17 miles away630 Bay Blvd., Suite 101 Chula Vista California 91910CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 420-6725