Casitas Care Center is an average-sized facility in Granada Hills, California. This nursing home proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our assessment, this facility is a good fit for most people. This place did not fare well in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Casitas Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
It should be noted that this facility's inspection rating outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we gave it a B+ for its inspections grade, which is one of our better scores. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades came in the category of short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. It actually performed better than most facilities in this category. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more meaningful for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Casitas Care Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. Nursing ratings are largely based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure as it is well below the national average. Lastly, although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of our quality metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared well in this subcategory.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care, which was this nursing home's least impressive area. We gave this facility a D in this area. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casitas Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casitas Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents who have pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casitas Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents who sustained falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casitas Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. However, this datapoint could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casitas Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casitas Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casitas Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casitas Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casitas Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casitas Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Casitas Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casitas Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Casitas Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Casitas Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Granada Hills, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Granada Hills, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.85 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 12.49 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Adventist Health Simi ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 13.94 miles away2975 N Sycamore Dr Simi Valley California 93065Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 955-6000
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc0.41 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Holy Cross Renal Center2.57 miles away14901 Rinaldi Street, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (818) 365-6961
- Fmc-Mission Hills2.57 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724
- Nrc-Northridge Dialysis Center2.77 miles away9325 Reseda Blvd. Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (818) 993-6700
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis2.93 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC3.5 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- Fmc-San Fernando3.51 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando3.51 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270