Casitas Care Center is an average-sized facility in Granada Hills, California. This nursing home received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. This wasn't the worse facility we found, but we'd still be very reluctant to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Casitas Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Granada Hills senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall score was not a highlight, it did receive a very good grade in the category of inspections. We awarded it a B for that category, which is one of our better grades. Inspection grades are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. This place was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
The next best category we gave this nursing home in any category came in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. With our short-term care rating, we seek to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. The final metric we looked at in this category is the number of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Casitas Care Center?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Nursing scores are mostly associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Lastly, nursing ratings also factor in quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care, where this facility received a bottom of the barrel score here also. It received an F for this area, which is definitely somewhat alarming. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is more than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casitas Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casitas Care Center, 9.9% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casitas Care Center, 0.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casitas Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casitas Care Center, 20.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casitas Care Center, 12.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casitas Care Center, 34.55% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casitas Care Center, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casitas Care Center, 4.78% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casitas Care Center, 6.54% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Many would argue that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Casitas Care Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casitas Care Center, 6.54% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Casitas Care Center, 6.79% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Casitas Care Center, 71.57% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Granada Hills, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Granada Hills, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.85 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 12.49 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Adventist Health Simi ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 13.94 miles away2975 N Sycamore Dr Simi Valley California 93065Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 955-6000
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc0.41 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Holy Cross Renal Center2.57 miles away14901 Rinaldi Street, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (818) 365-6961
- Fmc-Mission Hills2.57 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724
- Nrc-Northridge Dialysis Center2.77 miles away9325 Reseda Blvd. Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (818) 993-6700
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis2.93 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC3.5 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- Fmc-San Fernando3.51 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando3.51 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270