Cascades at Riverwalk is an average-sized nursing home in Midvale, Utah. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some decent marks. Based on our ratings, there are certainly far worse places out there. The best part of this facility's profile was is its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Cascades at Riverwalk
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1012 West Jordan River Boulevard,
Midvale UT 84047
65.75% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's best category grade came in the area of health inspections. In that category, we gave this facility a B+. It outperformed most facilities in this area. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category scores was in the area of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. It actually outperformed most facilities in this area. In computing our short-term care grades, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is considered to be a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Cascades at Riverwalk?
An additional reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing score. This is simply as good as it gets in this area. Our nursing grade includes a handful of components, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is long-term care, which turned out to be a low point for this nursing home. We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D in long-term care. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.18699 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cascades at Riverwalk Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 6.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a fall resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 13.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 21.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 10.85% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 14% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 18.79% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 0.9 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 18.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 10.55 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cascades at Riverwalk, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Riverton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.66 miles away3741 West 12600 South Riverton Utah 84065Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 285-4000
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.53 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- South Valley Dialysis Center1.92 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic2.31 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center2.91 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services3.06 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- Liberty Dialysis West Jordan (Fmc)4.08 miles away3823 W 9000 S Ste D West Jordan Utah 84088Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 280-4600
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch4.9 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- South Mountain Dialysis4.95 miles away10969 S Riverfront Pkwy Ste 100 South Jordan Utah 84095Dialysis Stations: 16 (801) 253-9696
- Fresenius Kidney Care West Salt Lake6.28 miles away4101 West Pioneer Parkway Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84120Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 966-9978