Cascades at Orchard Park is one of four available facilities in Orem, Utah. We gave this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires strong scores in most areas. Impressively, the nursing homes in Orem received high scores across the board, making this one of the better places in Utah to find a nursing home. Fortunately, this facility didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades is available below.
Cascades at Orchard Park
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a quality facility is it received a very impressive short-term care score. Short-term care is its best category. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A-. Short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
In addition, this facility also performed well in inspections, which is based on its recent inspections. We awarded it an A- for that category. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Cascades at Orchard Park?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. In computing our nursing ratings, we assess both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home received a strong long-term care grade in our assessment, with a B-. Even though this is not as elite as many of its other scores, this remains an acceptable rating in that category. With our long-term care assessment, we focus more on the sheer quantity of services provided by a facility, along with a series of qualitative data points. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 98.305084 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cascades at Orchard Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 5.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents who have suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 2.58% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have had a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 13.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 22.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 10.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 81.47% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 13.42% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 19.07% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 19.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 10.59 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 71.64% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Orem, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Orem, Utah has 3 other nursing homes
- Orem Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away331 North 400 West Orem Utah 84057Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 714-3300
- Timpanogos Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away750 West 800 North Orem Utah 84057Proprietary(801) 714-6800
- Utah Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away1034 North 500 West Provo Utah 84604Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 373-7850
- Utah State HospitalPsychiatric 6.06 miles away1300 East Center Street Provo Utah 84605Government - State(801) 344-4400
- American Fork HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away170 North 1100 East American Fork Utah 84003Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 855-3305
- Mountain View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.49 miles away1000 East 100 North Payson Utah 84651Proprietary(801) 465-7100
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.87 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Heber Valley HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.1 miles away1485 South Highway 40 Heber City Utah 84032Voluntary non-profit - Private(435) 654-2500
- Fresenius Kidney Care Utah Valley1.18 miles away121 S Orem Blvd Orem Utah 84058Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 802-3852
- University of Utah Provo Dialysis Center3.92 miles away1675 N Freedom Blvd Ste 15 Provo Utah 84604Dialysis Stations: 14 (801) 373-0169
- Utah Valley Dialysis (Dva)4.36 miles away1055 N 500 W Ste 221 Provo Utah 84604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 373-5400
- American Fork Dialysis Center6.36 miles away1159 East 200 North Ste 150 American Fork Utah 84003Dialysis Stations: 8 (801) 763-0652
- Lone Peak Dialysis (Dva)7.28 miles away1175 E 50 S Ste 111 American Fork Utah 84003CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 763-1304
- Davita Mt. Nebo Dialysis17.41 miles away555 W Sr 164 Suite 101 Salem Utah 84653Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 798-7903
- Heber Valley Dialysis19.21 miles away380 East 1500 South Heber City Utah 84032Dialysis Stations: 5 (435) 657-4680
- Payson Regional Dialysis19.61 miles away15 S 1000 E Ste 50 Payson Utah 84651Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 465-2060