Cascades at Orchard Park is one of four available facilities in Orem, Utah. We gave this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires quality scores in most areas. At the end of the day, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Cascades at Orchard Park
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Utah Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a strong nursing home is that it earned an impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In this category, we gave this facility an A-. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strong feature for this facility is that it received a very positive short-term care score. Indeed, this turned out to be its second best category score. In this area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. In crafting our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Cascades at Orchard Park?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. When computing our nursing ratings, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in that category. This is not a bad grade in this category. Our long-term care grade is commonly used to judge a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.27586 percent of its residents. This facility also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cascades at Orchard Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 6.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who experienced a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 13.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 21.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 10.85% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 14% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 18.79% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 18.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 10.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Orem, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Orem, Utah has 3 other nursing homes
- Orem Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away331 North 400 West Orem Utah 84057Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 714-3300
- Timpanogos Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away750 West 800 North Orem Utah 84057Proprietary(801) 714-6800
- Utah Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away1034 North 500 West Provo Utah 84604Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 373-7850
- Utah State HospitalPsychiatric 6.06 miles away1300 East Center Street Provo Utah 84605Government - State(801) 344-4400
- American Fork HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away170 North 1100 East American Fork Utah 84003Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 855-3305
- Mountain View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.49 miles away1000 East 100 North Payson Utah 84651Proprietary(801) 465-7100
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.87 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Heber Valley HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.1 miles away1485 South Highway 40 Heber City Utah 84032Voluntary non-profit - Private(435) 654-2500
- Fresenius Kidney Care Utah Valley1.18 miles away121 S Orem Blvd Orem Utah 84058Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 802-3852
- University of Utah Provo Dialysis Center3.92 miles away1675 N Freedom Blvd Ste 15 Provo Utah 84604Dialysis Stations: 14 (801) 373-0169
- Utah Valley Dialysis (Dva)4.36 miles away1055 N 500 W Ste 221 Provo Utah 84604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 373-5400
- American Fork Dialysis Center6.36 miles away1159 East 200 North Ste 150 American Fork Utah 84003Dialysis Stations: 8 (801) 763-0652
- Lone Peak Dialysis (Dva)7.28 miles away1175 E 50 S Ste 111 American Fork Utah 84003CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 763-1304
- Davita Mt. Nebo Dialysis17.41 miles away555 W Sr 164 Suite 101 Salem Utah 84653Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 798-7903
- Heber Valley Dialysis19.21 miles away380 East 1500 South Heber City Utah 84032Dialysis Stations: 5 (435) 657-4680
- Payson Regional Dialysis19.61 miles away15 S 1000 E Ste 50 Payson Utah 84651Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 465-2060