Cascades at Orchard Park is one of four available facilities in Orem, Utah. We gave this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires quality scores in most areas. At the end of the day, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cascades at Orchard Park
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Orem senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Utah Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a quality facility is that it received a very impressive short-term care rating. Short-term care turned out to be its best category. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of A-. In determining our short-term care ratings, we size up the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is frequently a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This facility also performed well in the area of inspections. In fact, it earned a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with an A-. Few nursing homes with an overall grade in this range performed as well in multiple categories. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively insignificant. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Cascades at Orchard Park?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. In computing our nursing scores, we assess both staffing levels and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Utah in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning residents at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in that area. This is a fair grade in this category. Long-term care grades are based in part on a facility's amount of nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine medical services. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cascades at Orchard Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 6.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 2.54% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents who experienced a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 15.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients which were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 11.45% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 80.77% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 13.95% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 14.91% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is vital to patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 14.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 13.64 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cascades at Orchard Park, 71.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Orem, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Orem, Utah has 3 other nursing homes
- Orem Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away331 North 400 West Orem Utah 84057Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 714-3300
- Timpanogos Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away750 West 800 North Orem Utah 84057Proprietary(801) 714-6800
- Utah Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away1034 North 500 West Provo Utah 84604Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 373-7850
- Utah State HospitalPsychiatric 6.06 miles away1300 East Center Street Provo Utah 84605Government - State(801) 344-4400
- American Fork HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away170 North 1100 East American Fork Utah 84003Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 855-3305
- Mountain View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.49 miles away1000 East 100 North Payson Utah 84651Proprietary(801) 465-7100
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.87 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Heber Valley HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.1 miles away1485 South Highway 40 Heber City Utah 84032Voluntary non-profit - Private(435) 654-2500
- Fresenius Kidney Care Utah Valley1.18 miles away121 S Orem Blvd Orem Utah 84058Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 802-3852
- University of Utah Provo Dialysis Center3.92 miles away1675 N Freedom Blvd Ste 15 Provo Utah 84604Dialysis Stations: 14 (801) 373-0169
- Utah Valley Dialysis (Dva)4.36 miles away1055 N 500 W Ste 221 Provo Utah 84604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 373-5400
- American Fork Dialysis Center6.36 miles away1159 East 200 North Ste 150 American Fork Utah 84003Dialysis Stations: 8 (801) 763-0652
- Lone Peak Dialysis (Dva)7.28 miles away1175 E 50 S Ste 111 American Fork Utah 84003CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 763-1304
- Davita Mt. Nebo Dialysis17.41 miles away555 W Sr 164 Suite 101 Salem Utah 84653Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 798-7903
- Heber Valley Dialysis19.21 miles away380 East 1500 South Heber City Utah 84032Dialysis Stations: 5 (435) 657-4680
- Payson Regional Dialysis19.61 miles away15 S 1000 E Ste 50 Payson Utah 84651Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 465-2060