Casa Promesa is an average-sized non-profit facility in Bronx, New York. We gave this facility a strong overall grade of B+. As a matter of fact, this facility wound up being a much better option than the vast majority of the nursing homes in Bronx. This nursing home definitely has plenty of good features. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its long-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to its strong overall grade, we gave this facility an impressive grade of A for our long-term care grade. For patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 93.50649 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be slightly lower than we anticipated but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Among this facility's other strengths is its elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. Nursing scores are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Casa Promesa?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area was short-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this area. Short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. It doesn't appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
In the last category we looked at, we found that this facility earned a solid inspection report this year as well. As a result, it earned a decent grade in inspections with a grade of B-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casa Promesa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casa Promesa, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casa Promesa, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casa Promesa, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents which had a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casa Promesa, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casa Promesa, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casa Promesa, 13.6% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casa Promesa, 91.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casa Promesa, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casa Promesa, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Casa Promesa, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casa Promesa, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.76 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility0.26 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center0.26 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center0.26 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center0.72 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.0.77 miles away1490 Macombs Road Bronx New York 10452Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 588-2347
- Newtown Dialysis Center, Inc.1.13 miles away1160 Teller Avenue Bronx New York 10456Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 215-4355
- New York Renal Associates1.14 miles away3468 Park Avenue Bronx New York 10456CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 401-2836
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.52 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420