Casa Promesa is an average-sized non-profit facility in Bronx, New York. We gave this facility a strong overall grade of B. As a matter of fact, this facility wound up being a better option than the vast majority of the nursing homes in Bronx. This nursing home definitely has plenty of good features. Scroll down to see this nursing home's category grades, which are also strong. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
308 East 175 Street,
Bronx NY 10457
68.05% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning residents more often.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received an impressive long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that area with a score of B+. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 93.311035 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Casa Promesa?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable short-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B in this category. In forming these short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Finally, we also gave this facility a score of B for our inspections category. This facility didn't have any major weak links. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casa Promesa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casa Promesa, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casa Promesa, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casa Promesa, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casa Promesa, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casa Promesa, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casa Promesa, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casa Promesa, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casa Promesa, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casa Promesa, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Casa Promesa, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casa Promesa, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.76 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility0.26 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center0.26 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center0.26 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center0.72 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.0.77 miles away1490 Macombs Road Bronx New York 10452Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 588-2347
- Newtown Dialysis Center, Inc.1.13 miles away1160 Teller Avenue Bronx New York 10456Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 215-4355
- New York Renal Associates1.14 miles away3468 Park Avenue Bronx New York 10456CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 401-2836
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.52 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420