Casa Coloma Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Rancho Cordova, California. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Based on our assessment, this nursing home likely isn't the best fit for most people. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Casa Coloma Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Casa Coloma Health Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Rancho Cordova senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Rancho Cordova, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't rate this nursing home well overall, we want to point out its decent grade of B- in nursing. Nursing grades are primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. While this place got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this subcategory. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest category turned out to be its long-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of B-. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable figure. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Casa Coloma Health Care Center?
This facility received mediocre inspections in recent years. We gave them a C in this category. Inspection grades are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This facility had 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This means that this facility dodged the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we scored was short-term care. This facility was awarded a C for this category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casa Coloma Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that had a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 4.63 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- Mercy Hospital of FolsomAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away1650 Creekside Drive Folsom California 95630Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 983-7400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - RosevilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.71 miles away1600 Eureka Road Roseville California 95661Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 784-4000
- Dci Rancho Dialysis Clinic1.71 miles away10294 Rockingham Drive Sacramento California 95827Dialysis Stations: 16 (916) 857-1819
- Manzanita Dialysis Center1.9 miles away4005 Manzanita Avenue Ste 17 & 18 Carmichael California 95608CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 483-3241
- Sunset Dialysis Center1.91 miles away3071 Gold Canal Drive Rancho Cordova California 95670CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 638-8429
- Dci Madison Dialysis Clinic4.86 miles away5222 Madison Avenue Sacramento California 95841Dialysis Stations: 12 (916) 338-6644
- University Dialysis Center6.28 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877
- North Highlands Dialysis Center7 miles away4612 Roseville Road Suite 100 North Highlands California 95660CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 334-1368
- Antelope Dialysis Center7.45 miles away6406 Tupelo Drive Ste-A Citrus Heights California 95621CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 721-1800
- Orangevale Dialysis Center7.5 miles away9267 Greenback Lane #a2 Orangevale California 95662CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (916) 988-5666