Casa Coloma Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Rancho Cordova, California. This nursing home received a rock bottom overall rating based on the data we looked at. Based on our assessment, this place is not a fit for any prospective resident. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Casa Coloma Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Rancho Cordova, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our better scores in that area with a B. Our inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid places with a list of deficiencies flagged. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to learn that this facility earned a solid long-term care grade in our assessment. We gave it a grade of C in this area. Our long-term care scores are more critical for residents requiring more conventional services associated with personal care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is an above average total. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Casa Coloma Health Care Center?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing grade includes quite a few datapoints, however, the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. With only 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this nursing home really did not fare well in this area either. With a poor grade of F in short-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. With our short-term care category, we strive to craft a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Based on its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casa Coloma Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 4.63 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- Mercy Hospital of FolsomAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away1650 Creekside Drive Folsom California 95630Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 983-7400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - RosevilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.71 miles away1600 Eureka Road Roseville California 95661Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 784-4000
- Dci Rancho Dialysis Clinic1.71 miles away10294 Rockingham Drive Sacramento California 95827Dialysis Stations: 16 (916) 857-1819
- Manzanita Dialysis Center1.9 miles away4005 Manzanita Avenue Ste 17 & 18 Carmichael California 95608CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 483-3241
- Sunset Dialysis Center1.91 miles away3071 Gold Canal Drive Rancho Cordova California 95670CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 638-8429
- Dci Madison Dialysis Clinic4.86 miles away5222 Madison Avenue Sacramento California 95841Dialysis Stations: 12 (916) 338-6644
- University Dialysis Center6.28 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877
- North Highlands Dialysis Center7 miles away4612 Roseville Road Suite 100 North Highlands California 95660CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 334-1368
- Antelope Dialysis Center7.45 miles away6406 Tupelo Drive Ste-A Citrus Heights California 95621CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 721-1800
- Orangevale Dialysis Center7.5 miles away9267 Greenback Lane #a2 Orangevale California 95662CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (916) 988-5666