Casa Coloma Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Rancho Cordova, California. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Based on our assessment, this nursing home likely isn't the best fit for most people. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Casa Coloma Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not a highlight, it did receive a very good grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B for that area, which is one of our better scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's better category grades came in the category of long-term care. This ended up being its second most respectable category. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of C. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Casa Coloma Health Care Center?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. In computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the number of hours nurses are with residents as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. Although this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this statistic. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is short-term care. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that area. Our short-term care grade is generally used to score a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Based on its score in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casa Coloma Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay residents which are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Casa Coloma Health Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 4.63 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- Mercy Hospital of FolsomAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away1650 Creekside Drive Folsom California 95630Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 983-7400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - RosevilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.71 miles away1600 Eureka Road Roseville California 95661Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 784-4000
- Dci Rancho Dialysis Clinic1.71 miles away10294 Rockingham Drive Sacramento California 95827Dialysis Stations: 16 (916) 857-1819
- Manzanita Dialysis Center1.9 miles away4005 Manzanita Avenue Ste 17 & 18 Carmichael California 95608CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 483-3241
- Sunset Dialysis Center1.91 miles away3071 Gold Canal Drive Rancho Cordova California 95670CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 638-8429
- Dci Madison Dialysis Clinic4.86 miles away5222 Madison Avenue Sacramento California 95841Dialysis Stations: 12 (916) 338-6644
- University Dialysis Center6.28 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877
- North Highlands Dialysis Center7 miles away4612 Roseville Road Suite 100 North Highlands California 95660CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 334-1368
- Antelope Dialysis Center7.45 miles away6406 Tupelo Drive Ste-A Citrus Heights California 95621CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 721-1800
- Orangevale Dialysis Center7.5 miles away9267 Greenback Lane #a2 Orangevale California 95662CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (916) 988-5666