Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital is located in San Dimas, California. The city has a total of 33,119 people. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. This was not the worse place we found, however, we'd still struggle to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not complementary of this facility's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care rating turns out to be one of its best grades. The nursing home received a grade of C in this area. Our long-term care grade is used to measure a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. One of the factors we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this nursing home did not fare very well in this area either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. Short-term care grades are important for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this place is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the figures we assessed. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.1 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients who sustained urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 14.2 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.0.54 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.2.74 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis3 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership3.04 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora4.08 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora4.45 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551
- Davita-Glendora Foothills Dialysis4.88 miles away750 West Route 66, Suite Q Glendora California 91740Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 335-2063
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina5.54 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522