Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital is located in San Dimas, California. The city has a total of 33,119 people. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. This was not the worse place we found, however, we'd still struggle to recommend it. The only positive thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
535 E Bonita Avenue,
San Dimas CA 91773
83.67% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall performance, it did receive an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that have a long list of deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities second most favorable category was long-term care. We gave it a C in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road grade in this area. In computing our long-term care grades, we assess the assistance with daily living offered to the facility's residents. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital?
We were stunned to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. In fact, we awarded it an D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. In calculating a facility's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses are with patients and the level of skill of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This statistic is quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was short-term care, ended up being this nursing home's least impressive area. We awarded this nursing home a D in this area. With our short-term care category, we strive to create a fair measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Given its grade in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. High levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Casa Bonita Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 14.2 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.0.54 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.2.74 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis3 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership3.04 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora4.08 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora4.45 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551
- Davita-Glendora Foothills Dialysis4.88 miles away750 West Route 66, Suite Q Glendora California 91740Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 335-2063
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina5.54 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522