Carrollwood Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Tampa, Florida. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. We wanted to point out that Tampa received a city grade of B, so you may wish to consider some other options in the city as well. This facility didn't excel in all of our categories, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Carrollwood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. Inspection ratings are tied to many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had a generally favorable view of this nursing home's recent inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable area turned out to be long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In the category of long-term care, we weigh the quantity of care offered by a facility, rather than more medically-intensive services. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.6997 percent of its patients, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Carrollwood Care Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. In determining our nursing scores, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is not an impressive total. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is short-term care, which turned out to be a low point for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a D for our short-term care category. Our short-term care grades are likely more meaningful for individuals requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 3.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carrollwood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carrollwood Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carrollwood Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carrollwood Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carrollwood Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carrollwood Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carrollwood Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carrollwood Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carrollwood Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carrollwood Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Carrollwood Care Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carrollwood Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carrollwood Care Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carrollwood Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Tampa, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Tampa, Florida has 17 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth CarrollwoodAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away7171 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33614Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 932-2222
- Adventhealth TampaAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away3100 E Fletcher Ave Tampa Florida 33613Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 615-7200
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Medical Center of TrinityAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away9330 Sr 54, Ste 401 New Port Richey Florida 34655Proprietary(727) 834-4900
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.98 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- Tampa General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away1 Tampa General Cir Tampa Florida 33606Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 844-7000
- Adventhealth North PinellasAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away1395 S Pinellas Ave Tarpon Springs Florida 34689Voluntary non-profit - Other(727) 942-5000
- Adventhealth Wesley ChapelAcute Care Hospitals 13.77 miles away2600 Bruce B Downs Blvd Wesley Chapel Florida 33544Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 929-5490
- Carrollwood Dialysis2.1 miles away14358 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (813) 960-3751
- Dsi North Tampa Dialysis2.72 miles away3421 North Lakeview Drive Tampa Florida 33618Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 261-1864
- Carrollwood Artificial Kidney Center2.93 miles away4553 Gunn Hwy Westwood Plaza Tampa Florida 33624CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (813) 265-9733
- Fresenius Kidney Care Town and Country6.34 miles away5951 Webb Road Tampa Florida 33615Dialysis Stations: 14 (813) 243-6130
- West Tampa Dialysis7.11 miles away4515 George Rd Suite 300 Tampa Florida 33634Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 884-4008
- Dsi - Tampa Central7.52 miles away4705 N Armenia Ave Tampa Florida 33603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 353-8100
- Tampa Bay Dialysis7.96 miles away2301 W Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Tampa Florida 33604Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 876-7023
- Central Tampa Dialysis7.96 miles away4204 N Macdill Ave South Bldg Tampa Florida 33607CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 871-3202