Carrington Place of St Pete is a nursing home in Saint Petersburg, Florida which has a total of 341,043 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack score. We wanted to point out that Saint Petersburg received a city grade of B, so you may wish to look at some other options in the city as well. This nursing home did not excel in all of our categories, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Carrington Place of St Pete
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A-. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility an C. Our nursing rating assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a relatively low total compared to most facilities. Finally, nursing grades also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Carrington Place of St Pete?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area was its long-term care score, where it was awarded a C. For residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated 81.16438 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be several points lower than what we were hoping for. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is short-term care, which was a low point for this facility. We gave this facility a D for short-term care. Short-term care ratings are critical for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its score in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this facility was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carrington Place of St Pete Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 2.43% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 94.61% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carrington Place of St Pete, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 7.09 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 7.16 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.91 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.2 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Fmc - Pinellas Park3.18 miles away7910 Us Hwy 19n Pinellas Park Florida 33781CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (727) 544-5916
- H Street North - St Petersburg6.07 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654
- St Petersburg Dialysis6.55 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg Kidney Care6.8 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis7.08 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- St Petersburg South Dialysis7.19 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- Rai Care Centers - Largo7.31 miles away12505 Starkey Rd Suite B Largo Florida 33773Dialysis Stations: 21 (727) 531-8227
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg7.37 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500