Carrie Elligson Gietner Home is a large nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri. This is not a bad facility with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Saint Louis. Based on our ratings, this facility has some redeeming qualities. The best part of this nursing home's report card was is its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Carrie Elligson Gietner Home
- Nursing Home
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Oncology Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Arguably the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more impressive category grades came in the category of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B+. It actually fared better than most facilities in this area. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.61832 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Carrie Elligson Gietner Home?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Nursing grades are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a low total compared to most other nursing homes. Lastly, although this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed well in this area.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is short-term care, which turned out to be a weak spot for this nursing home. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D for our short-term care category. Our short-term care grade is generally used to judge a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides significantly less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carrie Elligson Gietner Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 4.11% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 88.89% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carrie Elligson Gietner Home, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.3 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 8.52 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.48 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.79 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- South City Dialysis1.54 miles away3740 S Jefferson Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63118Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 664-6687
- Davita - Sauget Dialysis Center3.57 miles away2061 Goose Lake Road East Saint Louis Illinois 62206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 332-7801
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis3.83 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand3.97 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Rai Care Center -Hampton4.06 miles away2635 Hampton Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 646-1717
- Fmc - Chouteau4.25 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- Shrewsbury Dialysis4.44 miles away7303 Watson Road Suite 7 Saint Louis Missouri 63119CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 832-2461
- St. Louis Dialysis Center4.44 miles away2610 Clark Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 534-0909