Carriage Hill Bethesda is an average-sized facility located in Bethesda, Maryland. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A score in this range typically indicates some concerning datapoints. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Bethesda. The city has just one other nursing home. Lastly, this facility had an ownership change in the last year. Hopefully, new ownership is able to elevate its quality standards.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Carriage Hill Bethesda
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Carriage Hill Bethesda has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Bethesda senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we didn't rate this nursing home favorably overall, we actually awarded it an excellent score in short-term care, where it earned an A-. Few facilities performed better in this particular area. This bailed out its overall profile to a degree. Our short-term care ratings are likely more critical for people in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. It doesn't look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
We actually gave this facility a very solid grade in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a B- in this category. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Carriage Hill Bethesda?
We were stunned to find that this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing. We gave it an impressive grade of D for that category, which is one of our best grades. When computing a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this category, which is a very poor grade. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 87.61062 percent of its residents. This is many points less than what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carriage Hill Bethesda Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 11.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents which had a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 5.56% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 14.95% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 15.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 3.41% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 87.81% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 13.27% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 14.95% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 14.95% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 8.15% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carriage Hill Bethesda, 82.93% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 0.59 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 7.27 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Bma - Bethesda2.02 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Us Renal Care - Rockville3.45 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Holy Cross Hospital3.47 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Bma - Wheaton3.62 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Us Renal Care Bethesda Dialysis4.09 miles away4701 Sangamore Rd Suite p017 Bethesda Maryland 20816Dialysis Stations: 10 (870) 931-5400
- Davita - Silver Spring4.25 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.46 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Howard University Dialysis Center, LLC5.49 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Tower Building Suite 1119b Washington District of Columbia 20060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (202) 865-7365