Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center is in the large metropolitan area of Staten Island, New York. Featuring an overall score of B+, this looks like a very good nursing home. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the nation. We were also pleased to find that this place didn't have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a great nursing home overall, it also received A+ health inspections recently. Its inspections were nearly flawless. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this nursing home also received a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average score in this area. With our short-term care rating, we seek to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it was awarded a grade of B+. It performed more favorably than most facilities in this area. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.89035 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The last category we rated is nursing. In that area, we awarded this facility a solid grade of B-. This actually turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive area. We weighed the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses were with patients, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, while this place got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this subcategory.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who have experienced UTI's. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 13.6% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 91.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.86 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc0.55 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center0.63 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.0.88 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home1.58 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension1.85 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc3.74 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Davita Dyker Heights Dialysis Center4.32 miles away1435 86th Street Brooklyn New York 11228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 256-5800
- Fkc Bayonne4.43 miles awayDialysis Unit 29 East 29th Street Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 14 (201) 858-5358