Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center is in the large metropolitan area of Staten Island, New York. Featuring an overall score of A-, this is without a doubt a very good nursing home. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the nation. We also gave this nursing home impressive grades in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
88 Old Town Road,
Staten Island NY 10304
96.96% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this nursing home received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that area with an A+. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this nursing home also received a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average score in this area. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 99.89294 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed is short-term care. This facility was given a favorable short-term care score, with a B+ in the category. With our short-term care category, we seek to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of patients that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The last area we looked at is nursing, where this nursing home was awarded a B. This actually was this facility's least impressive area. A nursing home is doing something right when their worst score still is superior to most other nursing homes. The nursing grade includes a handful of subcategories, however, the most important one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who experienced a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that had UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients which are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehab Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.86 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc0.55 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center0.63 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.0.88 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home1.58 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension1.85 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc3.74 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Davita Dyker Heights Dialysis Center4.32 miles away1435 86th Street Brooklyn New York 11228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 256-5800
- Fkc Bayonne4.43 miles awayDialysis Unit 29 East 29th Street Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 14 (201) 858-5358