Carmel Manor is a senior living facility located in Fort Thomas, Kentucky. The city has 16,459 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some solid marks. You could definitely do worse than this facility. This place is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of having a decent overall grade, we also wanted to note that this facility received favorable nursing marks this year. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's top score. Our nursing grade features several subcategories. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest category turned out to be its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most important for residents in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 3.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Carmel Manor?
Long-term Care Quality
The third best area we gave this nursing home in any category came in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Long-term care scores are meaningful for individuals requiring non-healthcare services such as personal care. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 94.871796 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Turning the final area of government inspections, we gave this nursing home a score of C for this category. Inspection grades are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carmel Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carmel Manor, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carmel Manor, 3.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who have sustained falls leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carmel Manor, 2.68% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carmel Manor, 16.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carmel Manor, 28.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carmel Manor, 8.14% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carmel Manor, 89.73% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carmel Manor, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carmel Manor, 21.86% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
In Carmel Manor, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carmel Manor, 21.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carmel Manor, 13.2 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carmel Manor, 72.02% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 6.18 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- St Elizabeth Medical Center NorthAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away1 Medical Village Drive Ft Mitchell Kentucky 41017Voluntary non-profit - Church(859) 301-2000
- St Elizabeth FlorenceAcute Care Hospitals 10.84 miles away4900 Houston Road Florence Kentucky 41042Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 212-5220
- Davita - South Hill Dialysis1.2 miles away525 Alexandria Pike Suite 120 Newport Kentucky 41071Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 442-5539
- Davita - Cold Spring Dialysis2.94 miles away430 Crossroads Blvd Newport Kentucky 41076Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 441-3981
- Davita - 12th St. Covington Dialysis4.21 miles away1500 James Simpson Jr. Way, Ste. 1100 Covington Kentucky 41011Dialysis Stations: 17 (859) 261-4345
- Davita - Mt Auburn Dialysis5.03 miles away2109 Reading Road Cincinnati Ohio 45202Dialysis Stations: 28 (513) 784-1800
- Davita - Anderson Dialysis5.07 miles away7502 State Road Suite, 1160 Cincinnati Ohio 45255CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 624-0400
- Dci - Cincinnati5.27 miles away499 East Mcmillan Street Cincinnati Ohio 45206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (513) 281-0091
- Davita - Christ Hospital5.42 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 585-0314
- Davita - Redbank Village Dialysis5.99 miles away3960 Redbank Rd., Ste 160 Cincinnati Ohio 45227Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 271-5420