Carmel Health & Living Community is in Carmel, Indiana, a city with 77,123 people. This nursing home received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Carmel received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection grade. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Carmel Health & Living Community
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Carmel senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of C in the area. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a relatively low total compared with most other facilities. Lastly, nursing grades also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Carmel Health & Living Community?
Long-term Care Quality
Tragically, we gave this facility an F for its long-term care score. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 95.724464 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is short-term care. We gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. In our short-term care category, we strive to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Not surprisingly, we learned that this facility offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average nursing home. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carmel Health & Living Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 14.48% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 91.03% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Carmel, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carmel, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.02 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.31 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.85 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living0.06 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis0.21 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Fmc - Carmel2.01 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC2.3 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis3.37 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North4.43 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC5.94 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Fmc - Shadeland Station6.71 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401