Carmel Health & Living Community is in Carmel, Indiana, a city with 77,123 people. This nursing home turns out to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. Carmel received a city grade of B, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Carmel Health & Living Community
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its impeccable health inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our higher scores in that area, with an A-. This is a much better grade than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B-. There are several factors included in this grade. Many of the criteria reflect staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, nursing grades also consider quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Carmel Health & Living Community?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of long-term care, this facility was given just a D in this category. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the place is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated 74.73684 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly less than average. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, we awarded this nursing home a D for short-term care. This is the facility's least impressive category score. Short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. With a score of this caliber for this area, we were not shocked to find that this facility was below average in multiple staffing areas we assess. The facility offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carmel Health & Living Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have sustained urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 12.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 91.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to patients well-being.
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carmel Health & Living Community, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Carmel, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carmel, Indiana has 6 other nursing homes
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.02 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.31 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Riverview HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away395 Westfield Rd Noblesville Indiana 46060Government - Local(317) 773-0760
- St Vincent Fishers Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away13861 Olio Road Fishers Indiana 46037Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 415-9000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.85 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living0.06 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis0.21 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916
- Fmc - Carmel2.01 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC2.3 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis3.37 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North4.43 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC5.94 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Fmc - Shadeland Station6.71 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401