Carlsbad by the Sea is a small non-profit facility located in Carlsbad, California. With an A overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top ten percent of all facilities in the nation. This is really as good of a place as you're going to find. If you scroll down, you can see this facility's category scores, which are also strong.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Carlsbad by the Sea
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Carlsbad senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing grade is based on many components, many of which are associated with nursing hours. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning a patient more frequently.
This facility has also received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate deficiency counts for this nursing home. We would like to have more information about this facility. Without deficiency related data, it ended up being difficult to really grade this nursing home in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Carlsbad by the Sea?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was short-term care. This nursing home also was awarded an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few nursing homes to be given multiple A+ category grades. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this nursing home was given an extremely favorable long-term care rating. We gave it a grade of B+ in that area, topping off one of our finer profiles. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carlsbad by the Sea Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which had falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carlsbad by the Sea, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.83 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.21 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- u.s. Renal Care Oceanside Dialysis2.26 miles away2227- B El Camino Real Oceanside California 92054CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 757-1838
- Fmc-North Coast Kidney Center2.56 miles away3300 Vista Way, Suite A Oceanside California 92056CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (760) 721-4344
- Davita Oceanside Dialysis5.02 miles away4182 Oceanside Blvd Oceanside California 92056Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 941-8393
- Fmc-Buena Creek6.14 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis9.42 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center13.76 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis16.1 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Fmc-Rancho18.38 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700