Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center is a small facility located in Belmont, California. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is favorable score. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. This facility was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is often a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an A. Our nursing rating is based on a host of datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility truly excelled in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A. Only a select group of nursing homes performed better in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.4709 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning the final category of government inspections, we gave this nursing home a C for this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients which suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by poor nursing care. More supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. However, this metric may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Mills-Peninsula Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away1501 Trousdale Drive Burlingame California 94010Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 696-5270
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 8.43 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - South San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away1200 El Camino Real South San Francisco California 94080Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 742-3200
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.92 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 15.16 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City2.71 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Satellite Dialysis San Mateo2.82 miles away2000 South El Camino Real San Mateo California 94403CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 377-0888
- Wellbound of San Mateo2.82 miles away2000 South El Camino Real 2nd Floor San Mateo California 94403Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 377-0882
- Redwood City Dialysis Center3.99 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Foster City Dialysis Center4.34 miles away1261 East Hillsdale Blvd #2 San Mateo California 94404Dialysis Stations: 16 (650) 638-9301
- Davita Burlingame7.58 miles away1720 El Camino Real Burlingame California 94010CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (650) 697-7601
- Davita Mills Dialysis7.68 miles away100 South San Mateo Drive San Mateo California 94401Dialysis Stations: 19 (650) 548-4985
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park8.31 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800