Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center is a small facility located in Belmont, California. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is favorable score. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the nation. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Belmont senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall score, we gave this facility an A+ for our long-term care rating. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home truly excelled in the area of short-term care, where it received a score of A+. Not many facilities performed better in this category. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 7.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our nursing grade. Our nursing rating considers a number of factors. The most important variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Moving on the final category of government inspections, we gave this nursing home a C for this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. This place had 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you it dodged the more significant classes of deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that have suffered falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay residents which were given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carlmont Gardens Nursing Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Mills-Peninsula Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away1501 Trousdale Drive Burlingame California 94010Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 696-5270
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 8.43 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - South San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away1200 El Camino Real South San Francisco California 94080Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 742-3200
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.92 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 15.16 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City2.71 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Satellite Dialysis San Mateo2.82 miles away2000 South El Camino Real San Mateo California 94403CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 377-0888
- Wellbound of San Mateo2.82 miles away2000 South El Camino Real 2nd Floor San Mateo California 94403Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 377-0882
- Redwood City Dialysis Center3.99 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Foster City Dialysis Center4.34 miles away1261 East Hillsdale Blvd #2 San Mateo California 94404Dialysis Stations: 16 (650) 638-9301
- Davita Burlingame7.58 miles away1720 El Camino Real Burlingame California 94010CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (650) 697-7601
- Davita Mills Dialysis7.68 miles away100 South San Mateo Drive San Mateo California 94401Dialysis Stations: 19 (650) 548-4985
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park8.31 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800