Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center is a large non-profit nursing home in Bedford, Massachusetts. This is an A rated facility. This nursing home was given one of the most impressive ratings that we offer. A grade in this range requires top-notch scores across the board. We simply can't say enough good things about this facility. This nursing home was also given strong grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
100 Old Billerica Road,
Bedford MA 01730
52.12% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home boasts a really impressive 5.1 hours of nursing care per patient each day, of which a significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the most highly highly trained levels of nurses. This is one of the highest totals of nursing hours we found. On top of offering high levels of care, this place also excelled in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. With less than 5 percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared as well as any nursing home the state in this category.
In addition, this facility also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that area with an A. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. We weren't able to track down information on deficiency's for this nursing home. We wish we had more data for this facility. Without having the deficiency related data, it ended up being a challenge to assess this facility in the area of inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its strong resume, this facility also was awarded a dominant short-term care grade, with a score of A-. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Remarkably, this nursing home provides about 50% more services from physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is a very favorable sign. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 42.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth category, this nursing home was awarded a high-end long-term care score. We gave it a B+ in that category, wrapping up one of our finer profiles. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to providing elite levels of nursing care and other staffing, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.38709 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. This combination proved to be successful as this place keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.44 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients that have had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 1.96% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 91.59% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Many believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carleton-Willard Village Retirement & Nursing Center, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.62 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 11.57 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis3.11 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Davita Woburn Dialysis5.39 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford7.54 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Dci Walden Pond7.58 miles away56 B Winthrop Street Concord Massachusetts 01742Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 369-1683
- Fmc Services of Stoneham7.86 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham8.38 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis9.06 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell9.09 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100