Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a very-large facility in Huntington, New York. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is a high-end score. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
830 Park Avenue,
Huntington NY 11743
73.52% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility earned an A+ inspection rating. This score is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. An A+ in this area is one of the highest complements we can pay to a facility. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate resume, this facility also received a superb long-term care score, with a score of A-. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.86431 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. The last statistic we looked at was the nursing home's hospitalization rate. We found that this place had 1.84 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is close to average in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our next category, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for its short-term care score. This is a very strong score. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. One reason for this facility's strong score in this category is that it provides more care with registered nurses to its residents than the average nursing home. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in New York in this area with 59.8 percent of its residents returning home.
The next area we scored was nursing, where this nursing home was given a C. Although this proved to be its lowest category score, this is nevertheless not a terrible score. We looked at the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This facility provided just 3.2 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is a relatively low figure. Nevertheless, more than one quarter of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. This is a high ratio of skilled nursing care, which we weight more heavily in our nursing scores. Lastly, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. While this nursing home did not have as many nursing hours as many other nursing homes we assessed, it was still better than average in the area of avoiding major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.02% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 92.45% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 6.32 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.79 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.18 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.59 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Carillon Dialysis LLC0.07 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis1.17 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.1.17 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150
- Huntington Hospital2.22 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack5.19 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis5.94 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr8.67 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis9.29 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786