Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which is among the largest cities in the nation. Our grading system was not kind to this nursing home, as it received an overall grade of F. We rated this as one of the five worst rated facilities in Philadelphia. In a city with more than 40 other facilities, you will probably be able to find an alternative. We were surprised to find that this facility actually received one decent category score for inspections, which you can find more information about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Philadelphia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a C for that category, which is one of our better scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This place had 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This means it avoided the more serious classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of long-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in that area. Sadly, this ended up being one of its better grades. Facilities that do not fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. One of the factors we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 44.093178 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
We were stunned to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. We awarded it an D for that category, which is one of our highest scores. When determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we consider the number of hours nurses are seeing residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area was short-term care, which is the last area we assessed. In this category, we awarded this facility a grade of D. With our short-term care score, we try to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Based on its grade in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.81% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.18% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who had a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.35% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.95% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.51% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 64.17% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.97% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 20.62% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 20.62% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.82% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 70.9% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 19 other nursing homes
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.03 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Mercy FitzgeraldAcute Care Hospitals 2.68 miles away1500 Lansdowne Ave Darby Pennsylvania 19023Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 237-4000
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 2.88 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Hahnemann University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away230 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19102Proprietary(215) 762-7000
- Thomas Jefferson University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away111 South 11th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 955-6000
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Davita Renal Center of Philadelphia, LLC0.61 miles away5630 Chestnut St., 2nd Flr Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19139Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 476-8301
- Dialysis Center of West Philadelphia, LLC1.6 miles away4800 Brown Street, Suite 201 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19139Dialysis Stations: 33 (215) 581-4993
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Overbrook1.63 miles away5911 Lancaster Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19151CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 452-0178
- Davita - Cobbs Creek Dialysis1.78 miles away1700 South 60th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (215) 730-0500
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.1.99 miles away1740 S. State Road Upper Darby Pennsylvania 19082Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 734-3501
- Davita - City Line2.01 miles away4508 City Line Ave. Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 473-3071
- Davita Cedar Grove Dialysis2.04 miles away4952 Parkside Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 25 (215) 871-0810
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Philadelphia2.07 miles away4216 Market Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Dialysis Stations: 34 (215) 662-5990