Care One at Valley is a facility in Westwood, New Jersey. The city has a population of 26,339 people. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the higher-rated facilities we looked at. A grade in this range requires very strong marks across the board. We can't find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its scores are as good as they get. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Care One at Valley
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this nursing home also received nearly flawless government inspections. Therefore, it earned one of our best scores in that area with an A+. Our inspection ratings are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its high-end profile, this nursing home also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Valley?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our stronger grades in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 71.257484 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is a few points below what we were hoping for but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we analyzed was nursing. This nursing home received an impressive nursing rating this year, with a grade of B. Although this isn't as impressive as several of its other category grades, this is nevertheless one of the more favorable scores in this category. Our nursing score weighs several components, however, the primary one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Valley, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Valley, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Valley, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Valley, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Valley, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Valley, 5.81% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Valley, 92% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Valley, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Valley, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Care One at Valley, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Valley, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Valley, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Valley, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.03 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood0.17 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Fresenius Medical Care Paramus4.85 miles away37 West Century Road Suite 108 Paramus New Jersey 07652CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 262-0429
- Fresenius Medical Care Hackensack6.3 miles away458 Passaic Street Hackensack New Jersey 07601Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 342-0801
- Fmc Bergen Rcc6.49 miles away647 Cedar Lane Teaneck New Jersey 07666CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (201) 692-1113
- Davita Radburn Dialysis6.52 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis6.55 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- Fmc Englewood Dialysis Center6.6 miles away350 Engle Street Fl 1 Englewood New Jersey 07631CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 503-1401
- Regency Dialysis Center6.76 miles away65 Ashburton Avenue Yonkers New York 10701Dialysis Stations: 12 (914) 963-4572