Care One at Ridgewood Avenue is a facility in Paramus, New Jersey, which has a population of 26,342 people. This proved to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. We were pleased to learn that this was in line with the other nursing homes in Paramus, which is one of the better cities in New Jersey to find a nursing home. Fortunately, this facility did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Care One at Ridgewood Avenue
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. We were not able to locate deficiency data for this nursing home. We would like to have more data for this nursing home. Without having access to all of the deficiency related data, it ended up being challenging to grade this nursing home in terms of this category.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home performed remarkably in our short-term care category. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. In our short-term care category, we strive to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Ridgewood Avenue?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses spent with patients, in computing our score in this area. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning residents even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was long-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility a decent grade of C. This actually proved to be this facility's weakest category. In computing our long-term care scores, we look at the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 97.67442 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Ridgewood Avenue Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that suffered falls resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients which have suffered from urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 5.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 91.97% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Paramus, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Paramus, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.29 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.36 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Fresenius Medical Care Paramus2.73 miles away37 West Century Road Suite 108 Paramus New Jersey 07652CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 262-0429
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis2.95 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- Davita Radburn Dialysis2.96 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood3.85 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Davita East Paterson4.92 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079
- Fresenius Medical Care Hackensack5.08 miles away458 Passaic Street Hackensack New Jersey 07601Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 342-0801
- Ara Great Falls Dialysis, LLC5.42 miles away498 East 30th Street Paterson New Jersey 07504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 569-0500
- Davita Hackensack5.46 miles away113 West Essex Street Maywood New Jersey 07607CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (201) 843-3875