Care One at Ridgewood Avenue is a facility in Paramus, New Jersey, which has a population of 26,342 people. This proved to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. We were pleased to learn that this was in line with the other nursing homes in Paramus, which is one of the better cities in New Jersey to find a nursing home. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Care One at Ridgewood Avenue
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well overall, this facility earned a nearly flawless inspection report. Therefore, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A+. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. We weren't able to track down information on deficiency's for this nursing home. We wish we had more data for this nursing home. Without complete deficiency data, it ended up being a challenge to grade the place in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of accomplishments, it also received a very favorable short-term care score. We gave them an impressive strong of A in this category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Ridgewood Avenue?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. Our nursing score is based on many subcategories, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing grades also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed was long-term care, which proved to be this nursing home's least impressive category. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this area. However, we wouldn't assess this nursing home based solely on one bad category, as it earned a few impressive grades in other areas. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.71795 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Ridgewood Avenue Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often linked to lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 92% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Some would argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Ridgewood Avenue, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Paramus, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Paramus, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.29 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.36 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Fresenius Medical Care Paramus2.73 miles away37 West Century Road Suite 108 Paramus New Jersey 07652CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 262-0429
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis2.95 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- Davita Radburn Dialysis2.96 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood3.85 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Davita East Paterson4.92 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079
- Fresenius Medical Care Hackensack5.08 miles away458 Passaic Street Hackensack New Jersey 07601Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 342-0801
- Ara Great Falls Dialysis, LLC5.42 miles away498 East 30th Street Paterson New Jersey 07504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 569-0500
- Davita Hackensack5.46 miles away113 West Essex Street Maywood New Jersey 07607CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (201) 843-3875