Care One at Redstone is a very-large facility located in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B. A grade in this range requires respectable scores in most areas. Based on our assessment, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. This place also received consistently good scores in all of our categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Care One at Redstone
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a quality nursing home is that it received a very impressive short-term care rating. In fact, short-term care turned out to be its best category. In that category, we gave this nursing home an A-. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be most meaningful for those requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
In addition, this facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the facility's government inspections. We gave it an B+ for that category. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Redstone?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it received a score of B. It outpaced most nursing homes in this category. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.13793 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The final category we graded was nursing. In that area, we gave this facility an impressive grade of B. Our nursing score weighs numerous factors. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Redstone Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Redstone, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term patients which have pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Redstone, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Redstone, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients who have suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Redstone, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Redstone, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Redstone, 1.95% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Redstone, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Redstone, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Redstone, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Care One at Redstone, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Redstone, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Redstone, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Redstone, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.36 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.22 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.29 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 12.77 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.03 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.42 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Enfield Dialysis Center4.48 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Palomba Drive Dialysis4.61 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC4.73 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.85 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)5 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center7.55 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC7.82 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983