Care One at Northampton is the lone nursing home we identified in Northampton, Massachusetts. With an A- overall grade, we rated this nursing home in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the country. We simply can not say enough great things about this facility. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile was its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Care One at Northampton
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well in its overall grade, this nursing home received an excellent inspection report. Consequently, it received one of our highest scores in that area with a grade of A. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its first-rate assessment, this nursing home also received a strong short-term care score, with a score of A-. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to provide highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this category is the number of residents who returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Northampton?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it was given a grade of B+. It performed more favorably than most nursing homes in this category. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.93238 percent of its residents. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to the next category, this nursing home was given an excellent nursing rating. In fact, we gave it a B+ in that category, rounding out one of our better profiles. Our nursing grade includes a handful of factors, however, the paramount one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Northampton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Northampton, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Northampton, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that have suffered a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Northampton, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Northampton, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Northampton, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Northampton, 1.95% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Northampton, 91.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Northampton, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Northampton, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Care One at Northampton, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Northampton, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Northampton, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Northampton, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 0.34 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.08 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.62 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 15.11 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.68 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Franklin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.08 miles away164 High Street Greenfield Massachusetts 01301Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 773-0211
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 19.33 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Hampshire County Dialysis Center1.82 miles away84 Conz Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 586-7989
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC11.14 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts11.49 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Chicopee Dialysis Center12.5 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center13.14 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC14.76 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)15.42 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)15.69 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751