Care One at Newton is a facility located in Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts, a city with 1,554 people. This turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on our ratings, this place ought to meet the needs of most people. If you look below, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good.
Care One at Newton
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality facility is that it earned an impressive inspection rating. Inspections is its best category. In this area, we gave it an A. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few relatively minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also received favorable short-term care scores in our assessment. In fact, we gave them one of our higher grades in that category, with a score of B+. In determining our short-term care scores, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This score is typically a reliable assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Newton?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded an impressive long-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 78.85906 percent of its residents. This is slightly less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The last category we assessed was nursing, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B. This facility did not end up having any weaknesses. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Newton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Newton, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term care residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Newton, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who sustained falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Newton, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Newton, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Newton, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Newton, 1.95% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Newton, 91.63% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Newton, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Newton, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Care One at Newton, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Newton, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Newton, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Newton, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 7.33 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Wellesley Dialysis0.96 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham4.28 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston4.56 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis6.41 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Davita Brookline Dialysis6.54 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.9 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Kidney Center7.07 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Brigham and Women's Hospital8.1 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130