Care One at Hanover Township is an average-sized nursing home located in Whippany, New Jersey. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is a high-end rating. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the United States. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Care One at Hanover Township
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Whippany senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were nearly perfect. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a top-shelf long-term care grade. This actually is its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a score of A-. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.06542 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Hanover Township?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this facility also received a grade of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average score in this area. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is often a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. We weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The next area we analyzed was nursing, where this nursing home received a grade of B-. This actually proved to be this facility's weakest category. This is still not a terrible score. We looked at the licensure of nurses at the facility, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses spent with patients, in calculating our rating in this category. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Hanover Township Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Hanover Township, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Hanover Township, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Hanover Township, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay patients that experienced UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Hanover Township, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Hanover Township, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Hanover Township, 6.37% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Hanover Township, 89.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Hanover Township, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Hanover Township, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Care One at Hanover Township, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Hanover Township, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Hanover Township, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Hanover Township, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Saint Clare's Hospital/ Denville CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away25 Pocono Road Denville New Jersey 07834Proprietary(973) 983-5569
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 9.97 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.88 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Davita Parsippany Dialysis3.03 miles away900 Lanidex Plaza Suite 120 Parsippany New Jersey 07054Dialysis Stations: 10 (973) 739-7080
- Fmc East Morris3.16 miles away55 Madison Avenue Ste 100 Morristown New Jersey 07960Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 993-8495
- Davita Renal Ctr Morristown3.16 miles away100 Madison Avenue 4th Floor Morristown New Jersey 07960CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (973) 538-8201
- Fmc Dial Assoc No Jersey Dc3.45 miles away2200 Route 10 West Suite 107 Parsippany New Jersey 07054CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 267-2009
- Fkc Acc Livingston St Barnabas So Orange Ave4.56 miles awayAcc Livingston Hemodialysis 200 So Orange Avenue Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 322-7150
- Fresenius Medical Care Livingston, LLC6.96 miles away348 East Northfield Road Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 535-0667
- Ara Dialysis Center at West Orange7.19 miles away101 Old Shorts Hills Road Ste 120 Carlstadt New Jersey 07072CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 736-8300
- Fmc Kenvil7.46 miles away677 Route 46 Suite C Kenvil New Jersey 07847CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 252-1301