Care One at Brookline is an average-sized facility located in Brookline, Massachusetts. This is an A rated facility, which is one of the best grades we offer. Based on our assessment, this place should be a no brainer for just about anybody. This facility also received strong grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Care One at Brookline
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing proved to be its best category. In this category, we awarded this facility an A. Nursing grades are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Turning to inspections, this facility excelled in that area, which is based on the nursing home's recent inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Care One at Brookline?
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this facility received a first-rate grade of A- in our short-term care category. Short-term care grades are meaningful for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we assessed, this facility was given a very favorable grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this grade, the nursing home topped off a very impressive report card. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 78.60465 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is somewhat lower than we expected but still a respectable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Care One at Brookline Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Care One at Brookline, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Care One at Brookline, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Care One at Brookline, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Care One at Brookline, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Care One at Brookline, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Care One at Brookline, 1.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Care One at Brookline, 91.63% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Care One at Brookline, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Care One at Brookline, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Care One at Brookline, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Care One at Brookline, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Care One at Brookline, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Care One at Brookline, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.94 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 0.99 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Davita Brookline Dialysis0.49 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Kidney Center0.95 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Brigham and Women's Hospital1.73 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston1.73 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston1.98 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner2.15 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)2.63 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Boston Dialysis2.7 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000