The Care Center is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which is among the most densely populated cities in the country. With an overall grade of D, this is a lower end nursing home. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Baton Rouge. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection grade. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Baton Rouge senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this facility overall, we awarded it an A for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Inspection grades are based on pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Despite this deficiency, this was still a relatively positive inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only earned a D for its short-term care score, which happens to be one of its higher category grades. Short-term care grades are crucial for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, we gave this facility an F for its long-term care grade. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care may not provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities offer. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home gave the vaccine to just 85.08475 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
The final category we assessed is nursing. This nursing home was given a poor grade of F in that area. In determining a facility's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses are with residents and the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Care Center, 10.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents which suffer from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Care Center, 1.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who suffered a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Care Center, 3.82% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients that have had urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Care Center, 24.43% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Care Center, 21.79% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Care Center, 0% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Care Center, 89.91% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Care Center, 10.55% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Care Center, 16.99% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In The Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Care Center, 16.99% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Care Center, 14.3% of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Care Center, 86.19% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 10 other nursing homes
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.8 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Lane Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.87 miles away6300 Main Street Zachary Louisiana 70791Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 658-4000
- St James Behavioral Health Hospital, IncPsychiatric 18.51 miles away3136 South St Landry Road Gonzales Louisiana 70737Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 647-7524
- Fmcna - Baton Rouge2.44 miles away524 Colonial Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 927-3311
- Fmcna - Dialysis Services of Bon Carre3.04 miles away7656 Realtors Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 216-0388
- Fkc - O'neal Lane3.14 miles away1280 O'neal Lane Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 272-2212
- Davita - East Baton Rouge3.19 miles away1333 Oneal Ln Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Dialysis Stations: 16 (225) 226-1444
- Fmcna - Mancuso4.75 miles away4848 Mancuso Ln, Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 766-6773
- Fmcna - Foster Dr Dialysis Svcs4.79 miles away1919 N Foster Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 354-1611
- Fkc - j.h. Lee Kidney Center4.97 miles away5348 Flanders Drive Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 766-3761
- Davita - Essen Lane Dialysis5.03 miles away7703 Picardy Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 769-8669