Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab is a small nursing home located in Lincolnton, North Carolina. Our grading system was not very kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall grade of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Lincolnton. The city has just two other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
931 N Aspen Street,
Lincolnton NC 28092
82.53% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We really were not high on this place's overall score or its category ratings. We gave it a grade of just D for inspections and that turned out to be its best grade. Inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, we also need to point out that this facility received significant government fines of over $50,000. This typically suggests that inspectors became frustrated after several years of failed government inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home wound up receiving a a terrible grade in our short-term care area. It was given a lowly F in this area. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is generally a fair measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 40.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. The nursing category consists of many datapoints, many of which are associated with nursing hours. With a meager 2.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. To pair with its low totals in the area of nursing hours per resident, this nursing home had really poor marks in several of the quality-based measures we looked at in determining our nursing ratings. For starters, we looked at the percent of residents having falls leading to serious injury. This facility was at more than 1.5 times the national average in this statistic.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home received an abysmal grade of F in this category. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 73.17073 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.27 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 10.34% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which have pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 3.97% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 11.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 22.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 3.06% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 88.86% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 19.28% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 26.79% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 26.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 11.98 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cardinal Healthcare and Rehab, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.64 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Catawba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.83 miles away810 Fairgrove Church Rd Hickory North Carolina 28602Voluntary non-profit - Other(828) 326-3809
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 17.74 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Frye Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.1 miles away420 N Center St Hickory North Carolina 28601Proprietary(828) 322-6070
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis2.73 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300
- Bio-Medical Applications of North Carolina, Inc.11.35 miles away3802 Startown Rd Newton North Carolina 28658Dialysis Stations: 15 (828) 465-2006
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston13.5 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia16.5 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Fresenius Medical Services of Catawba Valley16.53 miles away301 10th Street Nw Suite C 101 Conover North Carolina 28613CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (828) 464-3830
- Davita Catawba County Dialysis17.1 miles away1900 3rd Avenue Lane Se Hickory North Carolina 28602Dialysis Stations: 10 (828) 304-0102
- Bio-Medical Applications of North Carolina, Inc.17.25 miles away1899 Tate Blvd Se Suite 2102 Hickory North Carolina 28602Dialysis Stations: 5 (828) 304-0018
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Hickory17.25 miles away1899 Tate Blvd Ste 1103 Hickory North Carolina 28602CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (828) 324-9580