Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is one of just a few available facilities in Scituate, Massachusetts. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is very favorable rating. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the United States. This facility also received consistently good scores in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
59 Country Way,
Scituate MA 02066
83.53% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality nursing home is it received a very impressive inspection grade. Inspections turned out to be its best category. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its top-shelf resume, this facility also was given a dominant long-term care grade, with a score of A-. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.65 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This particular nursing home provided 3.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, this facility also was given an impressive short-term care grade, with a grade of B+. This completed an elite profile. In calculating our short-term care grades, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is often a reliable measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. One reason for this facility's strong score in this category is that it provides more care with registered nurses to its residents than the average nursing home. Finally, we considered the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. It fared better than most facilities in the nation with 51.2 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.08 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.17 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - PlymouthAcute Care Hospitals 17.27 miles away275 Sandwich Street Plymouth Massachusetts 02360Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 746-2000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.34 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 19.52 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.65 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis9.49 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis10.51 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Quality Care Dialysis Center11.17 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility13.39 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Fresenius Medical Care of Plymouth Cordage14.41 miles away10 Cordage Park Circle Suite 213 Plymouth Massachusetts 02360CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 732-9272
- Us Renal Care Quincy16.31 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center16.51 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC16.68 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791