Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is a facility located in Scituate, Massachusetts, a city with a population of 17,656 people. This nursing home proved to be a grade A facility, which is a superb grade. We rated this facility in the 100 best nursing homes in Massachusetts, which is a distinguished list. As you will see below, this place performed equally well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Scituate senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Radiation Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also want to note that this facility earned an impressive grade of A for nursing. There are many criteria included in this grade. Most of these criteria relate to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with an A. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for its short-term care score. This is a very impressive grade. Short-term care grades are generally used to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services To offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this nursing home also performed well in the long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that area. This topped off a straight A profile. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients which are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.48% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.39% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.08 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.17 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - PlymouthAcute Care Hospitals 17.27 miles away275 Sandwich Street Plymouth Massachusetts 02360Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 746-2000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.34 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 19.52 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.65 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis9.49 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis10.51 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Quality Care Dialysis Center11.17 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility13.39 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Fresenius Medical Care of Plymouth Cordage14.41 miles away10 Cordage Park Circle Suite 213 Plymouth Massachusetts 02360CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 732-9272
- Us Renal Care Quincy16.31 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center16.51 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC16.68 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791