Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is a small nursing home in Scituate, Massachusetts. This facility was given an A- overall, which is a very strong rating. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 25 percent of all facilities in the nation. As you will see below, this facility also performed well in our category ratings. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a strong overall score, this facility also earned excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our highest grades in that category, with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was awarded an impressive grade of A- in our long-term care area. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a strong short-term care grade. This actually is this nursing home's third best category score. In that category, this facility received a score of A-. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most important for residents requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
In the final category, we awarded this nursing home a A for our nursing score. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. Our nursing score includes many subcategories, but the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who experienced a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cardigan Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.08 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.17 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - PlymouthAcute Care Hospitals 17.27 miles away275 Sandwich Street Plymouth Massachusetts 02360Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 746-2000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.34 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 19.52 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.65 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis9.49 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis10.51 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Quality Care Dialysis Center11.17 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility13.39 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Fresenius Medical Care of Plymouth Cordage14.41 miles away10 Cordage Park Circle Suite 213 Plymouth Massachusetts 02360CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 732-9272
- Us Renal Care Quincy16.31 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center16.51 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC16.68 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791