Capitol Hill Healthcare Center is one of eight facilities in Montgomery, Alabama. This turns out to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. We found this nursing home to be better than most of the nursing homes in Montgomery, which has a city grade of B. This place is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Capitol Hill Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
520 South Hull Street,
Montgomery AL 36104
67.99% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, it does not look like we have deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our long-term care grade. For residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 93.84615 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be a few points below what we were hoping for but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Capitol Hill Healthcare Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. We looked at the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses spent with residents, in determining our rating in this category. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is not an impressive total. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was short-term care. This nursing home was awarded a strong short-term care score this year, with a grade of C. Even though this wasn't quite as impressive as a few of its other scores, this remains a decent rating in that category. Short-term care grades are typically used to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients that returned home from this facility. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Capitol Hill Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 1.27% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 92.58% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 11.46 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Capitol Hill Healthcare Center, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Montgomery, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Montgomery, Alabama has 7 other nursing homes
- Jackson Hospital & Clinic IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.12 miles away1725 Pine Street Montgomery Alabama 36106Voluntary non-profit - Private(334) 293-8000
- Baptist Medical Center SouthAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away2105 East South Boulevard Montgomery Alabama 36116Government - Hospital District or Authority(334) 288-2100
- Baptist Medical Center EastAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away400 Taylor Road Montgomery Alabama 36117Government - Hospital District or Authority(334) 244-8330
- Prattville Baptist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away124 S Memorial Dr Prattville Alabama 36067Government - Hospital District or Authority(334) 361-4267
- Elmore Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.34 miles away500 Hospital Drive Wetumpka Alabama 36092Government - State(334) 567-4311
- Dci Montgomery0.11 miles away544 South Mcdonough Street Montgomery Alabama 36104CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (334) 265-9190
- Fmc Capitol City0.48 miles away255 S Jackson Street Montgomery Alabama 36104CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (334) 263-1028
- Pcd Montgomery1.03 miles away1001 Forest Avenue Montgomery Alabama 36106CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (334) 269-9416
- Dci Highland Park1.24 miles away1912 Cherry Street Montgomery Alabama 36107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (334) 264-1060
- Fkc Montgomery4.18 miles away3625 Mcgehee Place Drive North Montgomery Alabama 36111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (334) 286-3766
- Farragut Dialysis, Inc4.19 miles away2958 Dorchester Drive Montgomery Alabama 36116CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (334) 280-4980
- Davita Majestic Dialysis5.11 miles away1510 Eastern Boulevard Montgomery Alabama 36117Dialysis Stations: 12 (334) 260-8519
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama7.51 miles away100 Mitylene Park Ln Montgomery Alabama 36117CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (334) 274-4300