Canyon Springs Post-Acute is a nursing home located in San Jose, California which has a population of 973,849 people. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. If you are not happy with this facility's relatively poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are six other nursing homes in San Jose. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canyon Springs Post-Acute
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on San Jose senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we did not have many positive things to say about this facility's overall score, it did receive a slightly better long-term care grade of B-. This boosted its profile to a degree. Our long-term care grades are based on the facility's amount of nursing care. This includes a vast range of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 99.649124 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Nursing scores are primarily based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed well in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Canyon Springs Post-Acute?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed was short-term care, where this facility was given a C in this area. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to score a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Moving on the final area of inspections, we gave this nursing home a C for this category. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This indicates CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to present an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canyon Springs Post-Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term residents which suffer from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a fall resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a UTI. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canyon Springs Post-Acute, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 8.5 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.35 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose0.15 miles away2121 Alexian Drive San Jose California 95116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (408) 258-8720
- Satellite Dialysis White Road1.05 miles away1450 S White Road #30 San Jose California 95127CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 272-9810
- Davita Eastridge Dialysis1.65 miles away3501 E Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95122Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 239-0466
- Davita Silicon Valley Home Training3.29 miles away725 Ridder Park Dr., Ste 50 San Jose California 95131Dialysis Stations: 8 (408) 392-0239
- Davita Silicon Valley Dialysis3.29 miles away725 Ridder Park., Ste 10 San Jose California 95131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 392-0390
- Tully Dialysis Center3.34 miles away1290 Tully Rd Suite 80 San Jose California 95122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 993-8959
- Kaiser Permanente - Skyport3.93 miles away1721 Technology Drive Dept #245 San Jose California 95110Dialysis Stations: 1 (408) 436-4300
- Satellite Dialysis Silver Creek4.41 miles away1620 East Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95121CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (408) 754-3400