Canterbury Place is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. This was not the worse facility we found, but we'd still struggle to recommend it. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Canterbury Place has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Pittsburgh senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall score is not a highlight, it received a slightly more favorable score in the category of inspections. We awarded it a B- for this area, which is not bad. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. When determining our nursing grades, we analyze both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below the national average. Lastly, although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury Place?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities third best area is short-term care. We gave it a B- in this area. This is basically a slightly below average grade in this category. Our short-term care grade is often employed to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services To have highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in the area. For patients looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated just 78.46154 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury Place, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury Place, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents who had a fall leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury Place, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term stay residents who sustained a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury Place, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury Place, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury Place, 3.3% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some would argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury Place, 86.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury Place, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury Place, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Canterbury Place, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury Place, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury Place, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury Place, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 12 other nursing homes
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.64 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 2.03 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.49 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Dialysis Clinic Inc - Canterbury0.05 miles away376 Fisk Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 683-2670
- Davita - Pittsburgh Dialysis0.2 miles away4312 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 681-8556
- Upmc Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh0.28 miles awayOne Children's Hospital Drive 4401 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 864-8717
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Western Pennsylvania0.96 miles away5124 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 23 (412) 682-0205
- Davita Pittsburgh Home Modality Coe Pd0.97 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Building A Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 605-0415
- Davita Bloomfield - Pittsburgh0.97 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Suite C Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (412) 683-3212
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shadyside0.99 miles away4925 Baum Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 20 (412) 687-2279
- Va Pittsburgh Healthcare System1.36 miles awayUniversity Drive C 7 East, Room 129 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15240Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 360-6181