Located in Auburn, Washington, Canterbury House is one of just three facilities there. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score in this range requires some decent marks. Based on our ratings, there are definitely much worse facilities out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card was is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Auburn senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A- for our nursing rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall rating. There are many criteria included in this grade. Most of the subcategories relate to nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a B+ in our short-term care category. This happens to be one of our more favorable grades. Our short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Canterbury House?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, where this facility was given a grade of C in this category. Long-term care grades are used to measure a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home administered the vaccine to just 89.67136 percent of its patients. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Moving on our last category of inspections, this nursing home received an F here. This score was very detrimental to this nursing home's overall score. When a facility has this bad of an inspection grade, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This facility was hit with one category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more severe deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies uncovered by CMS had potential to cause actual harm to residents. Finally, we also need to point out that this place received large government fines totaling more than $100,000. This usually means that a nursing home's bad track record has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canterbury House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canterbury House, 7.46% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canterbury House, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. More supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canterbury House, 2.29% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canterbury House, 13.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canterbury House, 12.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canterbury House, 13.28% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canterbury House, 92.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canterbury House, 14.67% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canterbury House, 18.81% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canterbury House, 18.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canterbury House, 12.21 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canterbury House, 75.22% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.89 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Multicare Covington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away17700 Se 272nd St Kent Washington 98042Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 372-7400
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.04 miles away400 S 43rd St Renton Washington 98055Government - Hospital District or Authority(425) 228-3450
- St Elizabeth HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 12.02 miles away1450 Battersby Avenue Enumclaw Washington 98022Voluntary non-profit - Church(360) 825-2505
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.34 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Nkc Auburn Kidney Center3.1 miles away1501 West Valley Highway N Auburn Washington 98001CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 804-8323
- Nkc Federal Way East Kidney Center3.32 miles away33820 Weyerhaeuser Way S Ste 100 Auburn Washington 98001Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 943-6262
- Federal Way Community Dialysis Center4.65 miles away1015 S 348th St Federal Way Washington 98003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 661-9055
- Nkc Federal Way West Campus5.06 miles away501 South 336th St., Suite 110 Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 7 (253) 943-6312
- Nkc Fife Kidney Center6.39 miles away6021 12th Street E, Suite 110 Tacoma Washington 98424Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 943-6335
- Nkc Kent Kidney Center6.45 miles away25316 74th Ave S Ste 101 Kent Washington 98032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (253) 850-6810
- Total Renal Care, Inc6.56 miles away27320 Pacific Hwy S Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 529-7825
- Chi Franciscan8.24 miles away19520 State Hwy 410 E., Suite 19663 Bonney Lake Washington 98391Dialysis Stations: 4 (253) 447-3940